Thread: SNMP qeury for info in a file

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

SNMP qeury for info in a file

Hi All,

Has anyone tried, seen or any suggestions for this?

I have created an expect script on my Ubuntu server to grab information from a non snmp capable target (a bunch of them!). The polling creates a file which contains a lot of data but has really useful specific stuff such as number of users , specific values etc.
    Cron runs the script every hour and puts info into a file.
    Works great...

The problem I was presented with was trying to get some of the information in the file to our SNMP capable NOC.
    The NOC usually query our snmp capable devices via SNMP (V2 or V3) but I know I cannot go to the file directly.

I know I am going to have to write another script to extract and store the useful data ,
    so is there any way I can get the data , pushed it into some middleware and have it pollable via SNMP or is there some other way around this I am not considering

Im guessing no, but you never know your luck in the big city

Cheers

Jonobr
    Last edited by jonobr; September 14th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans

Re: SNMP qeury for info in a file

Wouldn't it be easier to send traps to the SNMP management system?

If not: what you want is called the "SNMP Agent", right? If so, does http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/exampl...nt/cmdrsp.html help? Or http://snmpsim.sourceforge.net/simulating-agents.html ?

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: SNMP qeury for info in a file

Update on this,

I am working on extracting the file and importing into the NOC DB for presentation directly and not using SNMP.
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.