Thread: file system compress

Beans

file system compress

As SSD are getting more proliferate and considering that they are still restricted on size I seems to be reasonable to have transparent file system compression in the same way as NTFS supplies. Is this part of the current kernel? will it be? I'm currently writing this on a 12GB EeePC901.
    Can I use compression already?

Beans

Re: file system compress

Quote Originally Posted by th00ht View Post
    As SSD are getting more proliferate and considering that they are still restricted on size I seems to be reasonable to have transparent file system compression in the same way as NTFS supplies. Is this part of the current kernel? will it be? I'm currently writing this on a 12GB EeePC901.
    Can I use compression already?
    btrfs is included (marked as "experimental") in recent kernels, I believe, and supports some compression.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: file system compress

I've been using btrfs as my primary filesystem for well over a year now, however, there is still no easy way of doing a Ubuntu installation onto a btrfs compressed drive.

The standard Ubuntu installation routine doesn't let you specify filesystem options, the only way that I've found to get Ubuntu installed with the btrfs compression option turned on is to use debootstrap after mounting the correct partitions with the compress=lzo option.

For more information, the best source (as always) is the Arch Linux wiki...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Btrfs
    Cheesemill