Thread: Update Grub fails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Update Grub fails

Hi folks,
    Have just come back from hols to find large upgrade for QQ and after it was complete update grub gives the following error.
    Code:
    sudo update-grubGRUB >= 2.00 has been unpacked but not yet configured.
    grub-mkconfig will not work until the upgrade is complete.
    It should run later as part of configuring the new GRUB packages.
    Can't find anything that tels me how to fix it. Any ideas please.Sony vio laptop VGN-NR10E runnung QQ i386.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Update Grub fails

Quote Originally Posted by awam66 View Post
    Hi folks,
    Have just come back from hols to find large upgrade for QQ and after it was complete update grub gives the following error.
    Code:
    sudo update-grubGRUB >= 2.00 has been unpacked but not yet configured.
    grub-mkconfig will not work until the upgrade is complete.
    It should run later as part of configuring the new GRUB packages.
    Can't find anything that tels me how to fix it. Any ideas please.Sony vio laptop VGN-NR10E runnung QQ i386.
    Run this.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dont worry its the builtin verbosy process till it end upgrading. You will see that each time grub is updated.
    Its not an issue , just a confusing comment than Colin might silence (if someone let him know about )

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Run this.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Nope that did nothing, still the same message with update-grub

Beans
    Distro

Nope that did nothing, still the same message with update-grub
    Dino seems to have got it then although I do not see that error.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Dont worry its the builtin verbosy process till it end upgrading. You will see that each time grub is updated.
    Its not an issue , just a confusing comment than Colin might silence (if someone let him know about )
    Yes but I get this every time I issue update-grub and I know the new kernel 3.5.0-16 was installed in he upgrade but grub menu still shows 3.5.0.-14 only which is currently running. The grub menu is still the old style grub 1.99 so the grub 2 install does not seem to have worked properly, and yes, I have tried re-installing Grub2 from Synaptic.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes but I get this every time I issue update-grub and I know the new kernel 3.5.0-16 was installed in he upgrade but grub menu still shows 3.5.0.-14 only which is currently running. The grub menu is still the old style grub 1.99 so the grub 2 install does not seem to have worked properly, and yes, I have tried re-installing Grub2 from Synaptic.
    That means that you have installed several grub, and that one is not the master one, thats all. As said on other threads (you might read them instead of whining about discussed issues proposing workaround):
    - purge grub on every mbr (sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc)
    - logout/in
    - reinstall grub-pc

That way you will only get one grub2.0 installed, so no more grub menu issue not been updated.

Beans
    Distro

May I add the results of my research into Grub 2.0?

update-grub is an x-shellscript in /usr/bin that says only this:

#! /bin/sh
    set -e
    exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"
    Update-grub runs the application/x-executable called grub-mkconfig that is also in /usr/bin and that is all. Grub-mkconfig creates the grub.cfg script but it does not install Grub into the MBR. This is why update-grub in one install will not over-write what another install has put into the MBR.

The command to save Grub into MBR is grub-install, an application/x-executable in /usr/bin.

I also have a Grub menu that is controlled by my 12.04 install and I have found that update-grub in either of my 3 x 12.10 installs does not change the grub menu. But a fresh install of 12.10 in another partition will write its Grub into MBR.

There is also an x-shellscript called update-grub2 but it is only a sim-link to update-grub. Now, if update-grub2 included a command to run grub-install after grub-mkconfig then we would be getting somewhere.

Alternatively, we could try running grub-install in a terminal and see if that works. I may just do that.

source of knowledge: Grub 2 manual.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/

Update to research

I have just booted into one of my 12.10 installs using the Grub menu produced by my 12.04 install. After running

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    I also ran

Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    And it saved my 12.10 generated Grub configuration into the MBR. so, I am now booting from a Grub menu controlled not by 12.04 but by a 12.10 install.

if you run this command

Code:
    grub-install
    You will get list of options. You will also see this:

grub-install copies GRUB images into /boot/grub, and uses grub-setup to install grub into the boot sector

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 3rd, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    That means that you have installed several grub, and that one is not the master one, thats all. As said on other threads (you might read them instead of whining about discussed issues proposing workaround):
    - purge grub on every mbr (sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc)
    - logout/in
    - reinstall grub-pc

That way you will only get one grub2.0 installed, so no more grub menu issue not been updated.
    I am well aware of where Grub is installed I only have one MBR! I am not aware of whining about anything, merely trying to establish what has happened in the upgrade to Grub two. It works on my other three computers so I do know what I am doing and have read many threads. And have previously done all the above commands to no effect.

Beans
    Distro

I solved this by purging all the grub files and installing afresh after none of the above suggestions worked.