Thread: Help getting an internship..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Help getting an internship..

Hey,

I am a engineering student(21M) and a permanent user of Ubuntu. As I am getting to know more of Ubuntu day-by day, I am growing to be its huge fan.

I wanted to know about some Ubuntu projects(or Unix projects) which college students can do on themselves, and attain some knowledge of that.

An expert advice required here.

Thanks you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help getting an internship..

The most widely known one is the Google Summer of Code:
    http://code.google.com/soc/

It will soon be time to think about getting ready for 2013.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow A project for college students

Hello Everyone,

I am a engineering student, first time introduced to Ubuntu at my college, 2 years back, and in just few introductions I became a fan of it, removed Windows from my Dell PC and installed Ubuntu.

Installing Ubuntu was few months back and now I am running 12.04 in my system and I am proud and happy of it.

Now, I want to 'do something' in this, means I want to do few projects kinda thing in Ubuntu, so that I can start working in its programming and develop something of myself and later show my friends whatever I develop so that they get inspired and switch to Ubuntu. I am NOT at all interested to make my friends switch to Ubuntu, but for my learning purposes too, that constitute major part of course.

So has anyone got any ideas regarding a project work in Ubuntu. I don't want a big one which takes several months, just one which can be done in a month or two..just that!!!

I am asking this all here because next year I want to apply for prestigious "Google Summer of Code 2013" ,so better if I start working now and certainly this is the time to start.

Please experts , give your thoughts and provide some light on my whatever I asked.

Thank you.
    Satyam M.

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A project for college students

What are you interested in developing? Fancy and easy-to-make-yet-have-to-worry-about-user-friendliness applications (see signature) or hard-to-understand-yet-powerful applications (see rrdtool)?

In order to persuade someone to switch to Ubuntu via showing him your programming work (not so sure how these 2 relate, though), I would go with the former

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: A project for college students

merged threads

Beans

Re: Help getting an internship..

What type of engineering are you studying and what type of project would you like to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: Help getting an internship..

I am studying Computer Science and Engineering course, a 4 year course.
    I would like to do something which relates with coding, or may be developing something new in Ubuntu or may be something which is related to system programming.

I just want some ideas to get a initiation to start doing some work. Since I am new, thus need some ideas how things can be worked out in Ubuntu, I have came across to know only a few things.
    Last edited by satyamM; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Satyam M.