Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GRUB 2.0 vs GRUB 1.99 - Long Entries

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GRUB 2.0 vs GRUB 1.99 - Long Entries

There are some bugs and GRUB 2.0 has the same long entries.
    If you are using Grub 2.0 in the MBR of your booting disk this was corrected by Colin already with changes to the grub-prober script.

The issue with long entries has to do with Grub 1.99 being in your MBR of booting disk and Grub 2.0 being installed elsewhere.
    the old grub-prober cannot parse the entries from Grub 2 correctly.
    So if you have Grub 2 in charge of booting then there is not that issue. i.e. long entries.
    Granted things have changed with what is presented in the menu but that is an easy adjustment.
    Last edited by arpanaut; October 3rd, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    If you are using Grub 2.0 in the MBR of your booting disk this was corrected by Colin already with changes to the grub-prober script.
    Hi and thanks for posting!

That is good to know

The issue with long entries has to do with Grub 1.99 being in your MBR of booting disk and Grub 2.0 being installed elsewhere.
    Hope you don't mind my question but is that confirmed or it's your opinion? I'm so interesting to know, thanks

If that is so, then as I expected/thought, then it means 1.99 is not yet compatible with 2.0 and IMHO, that should be fixed as 12.04 which is LTS has GRUB 1.99 by default.

So if you have Grub 2 in charge of booting then there is not that issue. i.e. long entries.
    Granted things have changed with what is presented in the menu but that is an easy adjustment.
    I guess the only way that I can confirm this is by trying it myself.
    I need to follow one of these methods to re-install GRUB to the MBR: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...talling_GRUB_2

Beans
    Distro

deleted
    Last edited by Cavsfan; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | 14.10 Mate | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Amjjawad, I posted a comment in that thread mentioning fstab and my tutorial/wiki.

There are no bugs in Grub 2.0 that I can see if you have correct fstab entries on each system and even better if you use my method of customizing the screen.
    They have just decided to make sub-menu entries for when there are multiple kernels.
    But, my custom grub2 screen does away with all of that and makes things simple.
    I'm afraid you are missing my point
    I'm not against your way and I'm not refusing to use it, my whole point is: why on the first place I/we need to do anything to correct that anyway?

As per the previous post, GRUB 2.0 will show normal short entries if installed in the MBR so I will try that

I have sometimes 10-12 systems installed and it will take some time to do that
    However, the good news is, I no longer do that. It is just one P4 machine that sitting next to me with tons of systems installed and I'm not even using it for installation any more. I just use my ASUS Laptop these days.

Also, for new comers, IMHO, it may scare them a bit so we always should remember to give them the easiest solution and once they learn more about Linux in general and Ubuntu, it is time to give them more

Edit:
    I forgot to add that I always delete and add partitions. Will your methods still effective?
    Last edited by amjjawad; October 3rd, 2012 at 04:39 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Reading your prose, that let me think yourself are not very sure about what to do or think; so stop doing the buzz here and read the other threads here about grub. Everything is already explained, so no need to add confusion. At first glance newbies are not there, except some of them.

note: its a good idea to read the changelogs before spreading wrong info.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Reading your prose, that let me think yourself are not very sure about what to do or think; so stop doing the buzz here and read the other threads here about grub. Everything is already explained, so no need to add confusion. At first glance newbies are not there, except some of them.

note: its a good idea to read the changelogs before spreading wrong info.
    What are you talking about? I don't know what you mean!

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    What are you talking about? I don't know what you mean!
    Really ?

HTML Code:
    Hope you don't mind my question but is that confirmed or it's your opinion? I'm so interesting to know, thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Really ?

HTML Code:
    That Q wasn't for you, I'm afraid

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post

Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Now, GRUB version 2 is controlling the whole thing.
    But again, there is no way to tell what partition that installation has been installed at like GRUB 1.99 used to show.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

But again, there is no way to tell what partition that installation has been installed at like GRUB 1.99 used to show.
    Yeah that is one of my gripes about the new grub,
    but you can highlight any entry and hit 'e' and the "set root=" entry there
    will show where the installation is.

Not a big deal for the average user who has only 1-2 installations.
    And for people who have many multiple installations, it is just an extra step.
    We have already complicated things for ourselves, so not a biggie.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast