Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reset file associations?

Beans

Re: Reset file associations?

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    Yes to this! It's the easiest way to reconfigure your associations without having to dig around the config files. Just remove those that you no longer want to associate with .jpg (for example), and that should do it!
    I tried that before, but there are a huge amount of file associations and I spent hours correcting it but still had a huge number more to go. That's why I'm looking to reset them, rather than going through and manually reviewing thousands of file associations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When you right click on the file, go to properties. Then on the General tab where the file type is, should be a wrench, click on that, from there you can do what you want with those, however I don't think resetting them from there is possible.

Beans

You can't completely reset because programs such as text editors are text\plain. Nearly all files will have a text editor program in the open with menu.

Beans

If it's not possible to reset them using a GUI, then where's the config file or directory that contains the info for file associations? Because if I delete that and replace it with the files from a fresh install that might reset them to default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    If it's not possible to reset them using a GUI, then where's the config file or directory that contains the info for file associations? Because if I delete that and replace it with the files from a fresh install that might reset them to default.
    You might want to look at the contents of ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and compare the entries in this file are also those you wish to delete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12