Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comments on the draft Code of Conduct

Beans

Re: Comments on the draft Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    When posting threads like this always provide links, ...
    Very true. I quite forgot to include the link and then by the time you posted I wasn't sure what you were referring to, the CoC link or links justifying the use of their.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Very true. I quite forgot to include the link and then by the time you posted I wasn't sure what you were referring to, the CoC link or links justifying the use of their.
    no problem
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by BslBryan View Post
    "their" is used as an incorrect (but possibly will become correct) and alternative popular way to avoid having to use "his or her".
    It's not incorrect, we have no gender-neutral pronoun; at least not in the plural/unknown. while the masculine was commonly used, people now tend to use 'their'.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by BslBryan View Post
    "their" is used as an incorrect (but possibly will become correct) and alternative popular way to avoid having to use "his or her".
    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I don't have any way to measure their popularity but i dont see why caNonical should be a early adopter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    It's not incorrect, we have no gender-neutral pronoun; at least not in the plural/unknown. while the masculine was commonly used, people now tend to use 'their'.
    Right. Here is a video on merriam-webster.com explaining why "their" is becoming acceptable as a singular pronoun.

But I agree that it may not be Canonical's desire to become an early adopter.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    But I agree that it may not be Canonical's desire to become an early adopter.
    Don't think its early adoption. In fairly common usage and I fully support it. Used it for years myself. It would help represent the forums as a unisex community where all users are welcome and treated equally, regardless of their gender, sexuality, religion, politics or anything else one would hope. Considering this is a support forum shouldn't these things be, in a sense and in most cases, irrelevant anyway?

Getting marginally OT there, but my two cents and +++1 for 'their'. Bit confused as why the lengthening debate. Let's just position the forums grammatically in the 21st century and be done with it. Language is inevitably and has always been dynamic, fluid and ever-changing so what's the issue?

I was posting on a thread where a woman was called 'Sir' by the OP. Sir and madam confuse things (even though a cultural thing, it assumes that all Ubuntu Forum users must be male nerds?). He and she/his and her confuse things also in a situation like the forums where you often don't know which is appropriate. In this day and age, why simply opt for the masculine? I'd say it's almost inappropriate, despite what linguists may have to say about it.

Finally, you don't know if a woman is reading the Code, or a transvestite who was a he but is now considered a she, so why the heck address either her as he? 'Their' is best and sign of the times. Their is only fair and right. Rant over.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 2nd, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Don't think its early adoption. In fairly common usage and I fully support it. Used it for years myself.
    I have, too. I just always thought I was being improper until recently.

Considering this is a support forum shouldn't these things be, in a sense, irrelevant?
    Good point. It's an Ubuntu support forum, not a grammar support forum.

Bit confused as why the debate.
    As far as I can tell, only one person is really debating against it. Maybe someone should put a link in the Cafe to make the debate a little bigger and less lopsided. (Just joking)

it assumes that all Ubuntu Forum users must be male nerds?
    They're not?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a hunch that whatever we come up with to use in gender-neutral discussions, there will nearly always be someone who is unhappy.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I have a hunch that whatever we come up with to use in gender-neutral discussions, there will nearly always be someone who is unhappy.
    As long as it's a politically incorrect minority they can be safely ignored

I'm considering using this in my signature so that I'm inured ASAP: "a leader is judged by the actions of their team"

Beans

for me a better one is

Leaders are judged by how they influence their team.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ah a new Code of Conduct....

I don't find the draft really with big problems, just that the grammar needs some change which is mentioned in other people's post...

I am willing to sign the Code of Conduct the moment it got onto the Launchpad signing page
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12