Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So a technical preview of Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 is out..

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: So a technical preview of Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 is out..

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89
    I thought you had to pay for it (once the beta is over)?
    They offer an "eval" edition, which is SLED 10 without the fancy support package and manuals and the like.

Who needs fancy printed manuals when you have man pages ?
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: So a technical preview of Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 is out..

There is only one thing I can say to people thinking about switching to SuSE.
    I hope you dont have any problems. Because if you do there is no fantastic community to ask for help. Get ready for RTFM! and GOOGLE IT! and being ignored.
    I left SuSE behind for just that reason.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Well, that is because it is for enterprise. In other words, they expect you to purchase support contracts.
    I could not fail to disagree with you less.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by wylfing
    Well, that is because it is for enterprise. In other words, they expect you to purchase support contracts.
    Even Open SuSE is like that. Its suposed to be community driven, well maybe it is if they want to drive the community to paying them for support.
    I think I will just stay with Ubuntu for a bit. Even though SuSE has way better multiarch support (I use AMD64 Dapper, it has a little) I still perfer the community here.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I have it installed on my "testing" partition. I liked it very much on the surface, but underneath I found it rather difficult.

I like the "default" gnome much better than SuSE's changed one. But I found that my friends, who groan every time I mention Ubuntu, loved the new menu. That new menu is slick... like a cross between XP's huge mess of a start menu and Apple's applications folder. I found it quite intuitive, but since I already know gnome, the extra keystrokes aggravated me.

I think Linux needs YAST to become popular, but I found it difficult to use. Perhaps if I were used to hunting through control panels like Windows I'd like it, but I like the command line much more.

All in all, it seems like Novell hit their target corporate market right on the head. It won't take long to get used to SuSE from XP. But for my hobbiest self, I'd rather stick with Ubuntu.
    Have a problem? Ubuntu has documentation!
    System->Help->System Documentation or go to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

Beans

SLED 10 has the single best user interface I have ever seen in any operating system. Everything is driven by indexing and seems to be connected throughout their application suit. That's very nice, especially their SLAB menu is awesome.

But when it comes to things like package management, the glory is over. Ubuntu is lightyears beyond SLED when it comes to package management. In any situation, I'd prefer the distro with the better package management over the one with the shinier desktop, as package management is at the heart of a linux distro.

I have already seen a HOWTO explaining how you can integrate their SLAB menu into GNOME on Ubuntu. Sweet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

There's allready some *deb packges that let you install the new gnome menu in Ubuntu. (Look in the Edge sub-forum)

I tryed Suse 10.0 and I didn't liked... I couldn't get my wireless card to work and I didn't find any guide ou support. Synaptic is much better than YAST.

So far, Ubuntu was the only distro that made me leave Windows and in my opinion, is the best distro out there.

Beans

I never had any problems with the SUSE community. They were just as helpful as this one. I will be trying SLED soon. I'll report back ASAP.
    Ubuntu fanboy ~ Do yourself a favor and get a DS Lite. It has the best lineup of games this 30 year gamer has ever seen.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    There is only one thing I can say to people thinking about switching to SuSE.
    I hope you dont have any problems. Because if you do there is no fantastic community to ask for help. Get ready for RTFM! and GOOGLE IT! and being ignored.
    I left SuSE behind for just that reason.
    Thats exactly the reason I left as well. I couldn't get any questions answered. What I did figure out I did on my own. Also their wiki was poorly organized IMO. Nothing like the Ubuntu Wiki, where everything is in place and easy to find. I think I'll try it out anyway though (not to replace Ubuntu of course, just as a friendly romp). For those who said that the SuSE communities were helpful, what forums did you frequent?

Beans

By the way:

There is a way to enjoy SUSE's polished desktop and Ubuntu's stability and community at the same time: Install XGL, Network Manager, Beagle, F-Spot and The Slab in Dapper, and you have the best from both distributions.

Really, SLED10 is only about eye candy, the rest is rubbish. With a little modification, you can get that in Ubuntu, too. I did it, and I love it:

Last edited by matthias_k; July 10th, 2006 at 04:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast