Thread: XBMC and ATI radeon x1950 card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

XBMC and ATI radeon x1950 card

I want to use a spare PC as a HTPC but it has an ATI card that is no longer supported by the propriety driver on 10.04. The recommended set up is supposed to be with XBMC for the software however this requires openGL support which I can't currently offer.

As I see it these are my choices...

1) keep on looking for a solution to getting the radeon x1950 card to support openGL 2.0 and hardware acceleration (any advice would be great).

2) switch to another media centre software.

3) switch to an older version of ubuntu/different distro that supports the propriety driver.

4) Buy a cheap Nvidia card that will work with their driver (but run the risk of a loss of support in the future!)

Obviously the most open source solution would be better but I'm happy with anything that would work right now.
    Last edited by pieman711; September 18th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

Beans

Re: XBMC and ATI radeon x1950 card

1) keep on looking for a solution to getting the radeon x1950 card to support openGL 2.0 and hardware acceleration (any advice would be great).
    Upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 or use xorg-edgers PPA and you will have OpenGL 2.1 support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And that works with the legacy cards? I was under the impression that after 2008 any cards that had been dropped by ATI were relying solely on the open source drivers that weren't quite up to scratch for hardware acceleration yet. If so then this is great news. I'll have a go tonight and let you know how I get on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

If you haven't sorted it yet, try that link. Helped no end with my 6320 HD problem.
    Znort
    Nothing is as certain as - Death and Taxes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for sharing and please do not post in threads that have not had activity for a year or longer, since this is an old thread it has been closed.