Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Ubuntu Bypass Spyware?

Beans

Can Ubuntu Bypass Spyware?

I suspect that my ex placed spyware on my computer when he lived with me. Though he cheated on me the whole time, he still felt it was his right to invade my privacy.

I believe he installed this was when I only had regular XP installed. I recently downloaded ubuntu beside my windows. I read that when I use ubuntu, it's impossible for programs installed in my windows XP to work. I am hoping that if this is the case, nothing he put on here 6 months ago will work. Also, he called me several times when I was working on another computer in front of this one, which leads me to believe he has some sort of webcam spyware too on here. I put tape over the webcam part and no calls after that, but I am wondering if either the webcam software he likely installed and the keystroke and screen monitoring that I think he installed are still working in ubuntu. I used to hear clicking like a camera taking pictures when I was in windows. So far, I dont' hear it yet, but I don't know if it really has no access over here. Please let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Can Ubuntu Bypass Spyware?

Quote Originally Posted by meep7 View Post
    I suspect that my ex placed spyware on my computer when he lived with me. Though he cheated on me the whole time, he still felt it was his right to invade my privacy.

I believe he installed this was when I only had regular XP installed. I recently downloaded ubuntu beside my windows. I read that when I use ubuntu, it's impossible for programs installed in my windows XP to work. I am hoping that if this is the case, nothing he put on here 6 months ago will work. Also, he called me several times when I was working on another computer in front of this one, which leads me to believe he has some sort of webcam spyware too on here. I put tape over the webcam part and no calls after that, but I am wondering if either the webcam software he likely installed and the keystroke and screen monitoring that I think he installed are still working in ubuntu. I used to hear clicking like a camera taking pictures when I was in windows. So far, I dont' hear it yet, but I don't know if it really has no access over here. Please let me know.
    If you are dual-boot it will not work in Linux, or Wine (unless it was also installed in WIne, which is really unlikely as that would have to be done from Linux).
    If you are running Linux in a virtual machine inside Windows, then yes it would work. My suggestion is to dump Windows unless you absolutely have to have it.

Linux is so much better than Windows (IMHO). Keep your ex and windows to the curb!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you just put Ubuntu on your computer AFTER he left then no you do not need to worry about spyware.

With your Windows you need to wipe it out and reinstall XP or just stay with Ubuntu only. If he has remote access he can follow everything you do evetything you type. Be safe and don't use that windows. Back up your personal files, that can be done with Ubuntu I am sure you know.
    Rob
    Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Sync files between your comuters Back-up & Share files. Sign Up!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robtygart View Post
    If you just put Ubuntu on your computer AFTER he left then no you do not need to worry about spyware.

With your Windows you need to wipe it out and reinstall XP or just stay with Ubuntu only. If he has remote access he can follow everything you do evetything you type. Be safe and don't use that windows. Back up your personal files, that can be done with Ubuntu I am sure you know.
    I say we put this to vote....all in favor of completely wiping Windows off the machine for Linus, say, "Tux!"

Tux

Beans
    Distro

Last edited by daslinkard; October 2nd, 2012 at 05:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Talking Re: Can Ubuntu Bypass Spyware?

Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    If you are dual-boot it will not work in Linux, or Wine (unless it was also installed in WIne, which is really unlikely as that would have to be done from Linux).
    If you are running Linux in a virtual machine inside Windows, then yes it would work. My suggestion is to dump Windows unless you absolutely have to have it.

Linux is so much better than Windows (IMHO). Keep your ex and windows to the curb!
    TUX!!!!! Maybe I'd better get started on a parody of:

TUSK / FLEETWOOD MAC
    (Lindsay Buckingham) Fleetwood Mac Music, BMI
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I say we put this to vote....all in favor of completely wiping Windows off the machine for Linus, say, "Tux!"

Tux
    Tux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rob
    Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Sync files between your comuters Back-up & Share files. Sign Up!

Beans

I did this download located here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer

My netbook runs XP. That's all it was running when I think he installed the spyware. I downloaded the Ubuntu last week, a full 6 months after he last had access to my computer. I believe is a dual boot because when I cut on my computer, it allows me to choose Windows or Ubuntu, but I'm not sure. Am I finally safe?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Your safe...
    Rob

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meep7 View Post
    I did this download located here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer
    Wubi?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast