Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can the Internet Explorer 10 or IE10 be installed on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can the Internet Explorer 10 or IE10 be installed on Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    When you click on the link that OP provided and then on the "backoffice button", there's this error message:
    Sorry. You need a browser that supports XDK. Please use IE
    Unfortunately, many sites in India are (still) IE-specific or don't render well with other browsers. In some cases, it's just a matter of spoofing the user-agent string but I didn't look into the matter. In other cases, spoofing doesn't work.

Market forces will teach them a lesson. It's a matter of time.

BTW, it's not uncommon to still encounter several Indian sites carrying the "This site works best with IE6". Yes, IE6.
    I've seen that on U.S. sites as well, along with "requires Windows ME , Windows 2000, Netscape 4......" I have no idea when those sites were last revised.

Beans

Some of the people here are web developers.
    We need to test our projects in IE.

Of course I personally use another browser!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't know that there's much choice except to have Windows running either dual boot or in a virtual machine. I have a multi-boot setup but I suspect it'd be quicker if you need to switch between OSs frequently to have a VM.

Beans

I don't think IE 10 will work in Linux but I used PlayOnLinux to set up Internet Explorer 8 and got it working. They have it as one of the pre-configured applications you can install within PlayOnLinux. I found it worked out ok. YMMV though and sometimes it could end up a corrupted window or crash. They also have pre-configured IE 6 as well, I think. You will need WINE installed, of course.

Here's my tutorial on setting up a PlayOnLinux virtual drive. Then you just instead of clicking the "install non-listed software" click on the "internet" icon at the top and find Internet Explorer in there.
    <snip>

I found that installing IE from the "internet" icon in PlayOnLinux lets you actually connect IE to the internet and use it as a normal web browser.
    Last edited by bapoumba; June 7th, 2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Snipped the link per user's request.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Joe999 View Post
    Thanks you all for your replies guys. Appreciate it.

I want Internet Explorer, particularly more secure IE 10, for XDK websites like this http://www.zerodha.com/back-office . Click the backoffice button, it will open in IE ONLY because it has something called XDK inbuilt.

The link was just an example. There are other websites I know that use XDK, and Firefox, Chrome etc. have no alternative of it. I have already Googled about it.

Can you suggest me a solution? I have very recently moved to Ubuntu.

Thanks
    You won't need IE to access this site. To avoid getting the message claiming you need IE, install the firefox plugin User Agent Switcher. With this plugin, you can "pretend" to be using Internet Explorer 7 on Vista and avoid the message. This just might work for any IE only site out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12