Thread: side scrolling w/ mouse wheel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

side scrolling w/ mouse wheel?

one of the things i miss from windows is being able to scroll sideways by pressing the mouse wheel to one side. i have a Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000 so it might be just a Microsoft thing, but Ubuntu seems able to do just about everything

is there some way to enable this?
    Thanks!
    Intel Pentium 4 Asus P5N32-SLI DELUXE Nvidia nx7900GT 3GB Ram Western Digital WD2500AAKX 250GB Seagate Barracuda 80GB, 160GB Ubuntu 12.04 Arch

Beans

Re: side scrolling w/ mouse wheel?

Pushing the mouse wheel to one side does scroll to the side, it's just worked on my zoomed in browser just now and earlier I was using it to spin the map in the game 0 AD.
    That said I'm still using Ubuntu 10.04 so it could be something that has been changed. Take a look at quick keys and mouse settings.
    Also check to see if your mouse still works in a windows system ... mice are the bits of hardware which I have to replace most. The one I'm using at the moment is an HP one, before that I had a logiteck one which also worked for a year or two until ... um...it didn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Microsoft does not offer linux software or drivers for their mice or keyboards. Stinks but what can you do other than buy products that offer linux compatibility.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    Microsoft does not offer linux software or drivers for their mice or keyboards. Stinks but what can you do other than buy products that offer linux compatibility.
    Shouldn't matter, it's a mouse, you don't need any extra drivers other than the regular Xorg ones you already have. That said, look in the Mouse options in system settings maybe, or maybe there is some kind of more advanced config tool somewhere out there, something like gsynaptics but for a mouse? I haven't looked though.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Shouldn't matter, it's a mouse, you don't need any extra drivers other than the regular Xorg ones you already have
    you never know... Recently in this forum there was a guy who couldn't get his fancy keyboard to work at all. Forget fancy multimedia keys, it was dead as a doornail as soon as the pc booted to ubuntu. One would have thought: 'its basic functions have to work, it's a goddamned keyboard after all!?'
    Finally he emailed the manufacturer and surprisingly enough the reply was 'it has some chipset that doesn't work with linux, sorry'
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

MS mice have extra buttons. On Windows you install the software and can program all the buttons. My wife has a magnifier window toggled by the left side button. She needs it for her vision problems. Can't do that with linux.

I recently swapped mice and put the one on this box in a usb port instead of using the PS2 adapter. It was terrible and scrolling was slow to the point of unusable. There is no setting for scroll speed anywhere that I could find in ubuntu. I solved it by plugging it into the PS2 port. If I could install the MS software, I could have changed the scroll speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you should be able to achieve zoom-in with no problem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBvNb3GkrM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. I'm usually leery of messing with compiz. It works except that the shortcut overlay pops up when I hold the super key.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

try using different key combos. WIN is mostly taken by the unity interface, if you want to avoid triggering unity features while using zoom, change the hotkey to some combination of ctrl/alt/shift.
    i don't know how to change WIN+mousewheel though
    make sure to inspect other tabs, there are nifty features that may prove useful.
    Last edited by Vaphell; October 2nd, 2012 at 04:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by houseworkshy View Post
    Pushing the mouse wheel to one side does scroll to the side, it's just worked on my zoomed in browser just now and earlier I was using it to spin the map in the game 0 AD.
    That said I'm still using Ubuntu 10.04 so it could be something that has been changed. Take a look at quick keys and mouse settings.
    Also check to see if your mouse still works in a windows system ... mice are the bits of hardware which I have to replace most. The one I'm using at the moment is an HP one, before that I had a logiteck one which also worked for a year or two until ... um...it didn't.

nope.. i just tried side scrolling in firefox.. just went up and down..

nothing in mouse settings..

and it does work in windows
    Last edited by gandalf3; October 6th, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
    Intel Pentium 4 Asus P5N32-SLI DELUXE Nvidia nx7900GT 3GB Ram Western Digital WD2500AAKX 250GB Seagate Barracuda 80GB, 160GB Ubuntu 12.04 Arch