Thread: LiveCD and WiFi SSID

Beans

LiveCD and WiFi SSID

Hi,

I wonder if i can modify LiveCD to store SSID and password for wifi.
    I am moving often form one home to another and have 2 WiFi setups.
    Lets say SSID HomeOne with password sweethome and HomeTwo with password homesweet.

Can i modify LiveCD to automatically connect to wifi in both locations?
    I do not want to use persistent image though.

Sincerely,
    jsbulat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: LiveCD and WiFi SSID

Retaining settings without a persistent image? I believe that would be called having your cake and eating it, too.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Retaining settings without a persistent image? I believe that would be called having your cake and eating it, too.
    +1

a live usb with persistent space is the only way to achieve this..

is it perhaps for privacy issues you do not want a persistent image?
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans

Not exactly a privacy - more like security and simplicity reasons:
    1) I want simple setup that even my wife can use;
    2) Simple upgrade from version to version.
    3) I believe there is only one way to be 100% virus free - booting from cd (never heard of virus that can infect cd )

I realize that it is impossible to setup wifi and save settings after i have burned cd.
    But is it possible to setup WiFi before burning cd by modifying image? And then use it with these settings permanently burnt in to cd.

I am planning to use it to work with bank accounts, so trojans and viruses are really concern me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by jsbulat View Post
    Not exactly a privacy - more like security and simplicity reasons:
    1) I want simple setup that even my wife can use;
    2) Simple upgrade from version to version.
    3) I believe there is only one way to be 100% virus free - booting from cd (never heard of virus that can infect cd )

I realize that it is impossible to setup wifi and save settings after i have burned cd.
    But is it possible to setup WiFi before burning cd by modifying image? And then use it with these settings permanently burnt in to cd.

I am planning to use it to work with bank accounts, so trojans and viruses are really concern me.
    its most likely less safe to boot from disk than installing it.. as while the virus won't persist from boot to boot. The system is still accessible whilst it's running.. and as there aren't many linux virus, there are a number of web browser and java exploits. I would worry more about the later.

so as you cannot install the latest updates to fill security holes. Those vulnerabilities will remain exploitable while the system is running.

However if you install it, or boot from a usb system with a persistent file, you can install updates to patch the gaps..

Ubuntu is a lot more safe than windows.. So i'd say you are fine using it for online banking etc...

if your really concerned here is more info on how to make your system super secure:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Security
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans

Thank you, androssofer.

The link to security improvement you gave me is beyond my understanding at this point. I am just starting to explore linux.

Probably i should start with persistent live usb and see where it brings me.

Thank you for your help.