Thread: Upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 disaster

Beans

Upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 disaster

Hi all,
    Not used my asus aspire one for a while till yesterday saw updates available and upgrade so actioned to update/upgrade.
    At end system froze so rebooted now system kaput. Get screen with no mouse saying start in low video mode after that nonsense script so pulled the plug.
    Any ideas? where can I download new netbook for use with usb stick and new install
    Had a surf round none found
    As usual any help greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 disaster

Netbook versions have not been available for a long time. Unity is supposed to make them unnecessary, so just download the appropriate ubuntu iso version and see what you think.

On a netbook I would suggest you may do better with Xubuntu or Lubuntu, but it's your choice.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've had some bad experiences with upgrades, as well. Especially moving ahead more than one revision would make me think twice about upgrading. Previous post is good advice: download 12.04 and make a Live USB drive, boot it... install it... have fun.

If you have any data you need to rescue, you should be able to drop to a prompt from the USB boot and copy it off onto another drive first.

If not, you have no cares.

My daughter's eeePC is running 11.04. I intend to upgrade it to 12.04 by re-installing the system.
    - Frank

Beans

Thanks for response,
    Will try the live usb route
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 disaster

Quote Originally Posted by lesliem View Post
    Hi all,
    Not used my asus aspire one for a while till yesterday saw updates available and upgrade so actioned to update/upgrade.
    At end system froze so rebooted now system kaput. Get screen with no mouse saying start in low video mode after that nonsense script so pulled the plug.
    Any ideas? where can I download new netbook for use with usb stick and new install
    Had a surf round none found
    As usual any help greatly appreciated.
    hi lesliem,

ubuntu has implemented its unity interface as the standard interface for its current releases since 11.04. so there are no more netbook editions since the interfaces are just the same.

about your lagging update, we don't know technically if it is with your unit or with the internet connection. since there are no post as to the last message of the update process.

however, since you are using an acer aspire one and if you want to reinstall a new os, you can try picking one distro to install on your usb drive from a list here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

pendrivelinux.com offers a variety of linux distros from simple ones that can be less than 1000kb up to full featured distros with known big application packages starting at 1gb. if one works or suits your taste, an install feature is also supported just follow the instructions.

you might find lubuntu and xubuntu to be big but there are other lighter distros so i further suggest these:
    • crunchbang - fyi: this is ubuntu based
    • tiny core linux
    • damn small linux
    • puppy linux

hopefully this helps.
    http://freesushi.cu.cc/
    頑張って皆さん! (:

Beans

Thanks for that did the pendrive route now all sorted
    Cheers all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

How is the performance of ubuntu 12.04 in netbook?? i am also a netbbook ubuntu user..i want to upgrade in my hp netbook..do u recommend??
    Never Give UP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hi lesliem,

that is good to hear. cheers!

hi RAJASD,

you can update to ubuntu 12.04, the ubuntu seem too heavy on any machine but it is way way lighter than a windows 7.

upon startup, my windows 7 home premium already consumes 2gb of my ram while ubuntu 12,04 is still around 700mb-800mb.

but with that in mind, you might want to have at least 1gb of RAM on your HP unit. the rest will be a 1.5x swap memory.
    http://freesushi.cu.cc/
    頑張って皆さん! (: