Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding 12.10 Release Candidate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Regarding 12.10 Release Candidate

where would you find the isos for it when they are posted? (link please)...

also, basically, what is the difference between the r/c and the final release next week?

when final is release, is an upgrade needed and offered through the update manager or does it just become the final on the basis of doing your daily updates?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Regarding 12.10 Release Candidate

if you install the daily you will have the final come the 18th, as long as you install the update via the update manager
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I'm pretty sure there's no release candidate scheduled.

The difference between the beta and the final is pretty much some bug fixes.

You should get the final result just by doing daily updates.

Beans

Is it true that there will be no RC? If that is true I'll just go ahead and run the daily of 12.10.

Beans

What feature and/or improvements did they add to Ubuntu 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The schedule below suggests that anyone running the Beta is now effectively running the Release Candidate; the Release Candidate is to be completed by today. However, there is no Release Candidate release listed in the final ("Notes") column, as there is for other releases. So, it looks like while we're technically at the RC, there will be no RC ISO or RC "new version available" in update-manager.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseSchedule
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro

According to Quality Assurance the milestone ISO being tested now is the Final ISO image. No Release Candidate up for testing.

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/

The same thing happened with Precise did it not?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The daily CD's are at the cdimage site; you may be able to find nearby mirrors if you hunt for them.

If you are doing repeated testing of the ISO's, you may want to use zsync to update your existing ISO; that will typically download a lot less than a fresh new ISO. E.g.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install zsync
    zsync -i old.iso http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/20121011/quantal-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync
    Change that to match the date & version you are playing with; I usually cut&paste the URL part from a browser window, like anyone would.

If you are just playing around with the post-beta2 status of things, simply keep running update-manager or sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade or synaptic or whatever your favorite tool for syncing with the repositories is. With occasional glitches when you try an update during a repository refresh or stumble over a buggy version of a package, it will eventually and more or less smoothly take you to the release version and beyond.

Upgrading to newer package versions within a given release is done with just update-manager. This is true from the first alpha all the way through the final release and beyond until end-of-life. One of the things we like about debian style package management; over in enterprise redhat land you can't reliably go from a beta to a release, there you have to reinstall completely.

Upgrading in place from a current release to a test (alpha, beta, release candidate, daily) version of the next release is done with update-manager --devel-release.

Upgrading in place from a current production release to the next version (or if LTS, the +4 next LTS verson) is done by update-manager --check-dist-upgrades

Thanks for your interest in helping test Ubuntu!
    Last edited by lemming465; October 13th, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: correct typo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linuxvstheworld View Post
    What feature and/or improvements did they add to Ubuntu 12.10?

There are quite a few. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1973822

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Great information....i installed the daily build and based on what i read here, will just need to continue to do the updates to take me to final and through the entire release cycle...if i read that right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast