Thread: Extended bachelor vs master

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Extended bachelor vs master

I have completed 2 years of bachelor courses where the majority is courses in Computer Science. Now I find myself in a situation where I can take specific courses for the 1 remaining year and get a general bachelor degree.

With this general bachelor degree I am able to take a master in Computer Science and some other fields.

The thing is that I am also interested in taking some courses into microcontrollers and hardware. That would mean that I have to extend my bachelor to 4 years. Is it worth it? I can ofcourse still take a master after that but then it will have taken me 6 years of studying for everything.. and that in case I complete all courses per schedule.

What do you think? Is it worth to spend +1 year at bachelor level just taking courses you find interesting or should I just jump directly to a master? I am 25 years old at the moment and I feel a bit too old already for the prolonging.

Beans

Re: Extended bachelor vs master

All depends on how the job situation is in Sweden. If you can get a job with a 3 year bachelor, good for you. Many jobs in the EU require computer engineers to have 6-year master diplomas.

I recommend you to do just this: get the 6 year master and study through it. You'll never have to go back to it ever again and (provided you study) it gives you a good basis to get your bearings with computer science.

Beans

Re: Extended bachelor vs master

If you can get a job after the 3 year bachelor GO FOR IT! You're 26 and it's time to make some cash. You can always make the master after you have a nice budget. You could afford a master in a Top-notch USA grad school after that.