Thread: Linux job / general question

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linux job / general question

At the moment i'am working as a Linux system administrator. But i would like to increase my "value", sort of saying. And was wondering what certificates you guys could / would recommend taking in the following areas, if such exist.

The reason i ask is because i'am wondering (the people that work with Linux or search for jobs in the area), how do you show that what you say you can do, you actually can do. Job interview scenario.

Users & groups administration
    Linux+ certificate? Or is their a more specific certificate on the topic.

Scripting
    What skills are firms looking for in general? Is it, Bash, Sed, Awk, Pearl, Python, something else, a mix of something. Or is it different from firm to firm. And is their any certificates you can take.

Entry database administration
    Is their a certificate that you can take to show that you have some entry level database skills?
    That can be used for the different databases out their. MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and so on.

Linux security entry level
    Give your opinion.

Bind / DHCP
    Give your opinion.

General
    Is their some general certificates that show you have general Linux skills? To get the attention of employers?

The one i know about is Linux+ which maybe get the attention but beside that, it's pretty worthless?

And then i have heard about LPI http://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications

RHCT/RHCE (RHCSA before RHCE) http://www.redhat.com/training/certifications/rhcsa/

But how well respected are these certifications in the "real-world"? To get a Linux administrator related job?

Thanks on advance.
    Last edited by Drenriza; October 1st, 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Re: Linux job / general question

Certifications do not get you a job, they get you an interview.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Linux job / general question

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    Certifications do not get you a job, they get you an interview.
    Quote myself
    But how well respected are these certifications in the "real-world"? To get a Linux administrator related job?