New USB HDD to ext4
I have a new 80GB USB external HDD that I wish to format to ext4 and use with my Ubuntu 12.04 (gnome classic).
I thought "Simple enough. I will just use Gparted that is included with Ubuntu 12.04." So here is what I did:
- Connected my USB HDD to my PC.
- Opened GParted (System Tools>Administration>GParted Partition Editor.
- From the drop-down box, I selected my 80GB HDD (/dev/sdc).
- Selected Device>Creat Partition Table and [Apply]. This created an MS-DOS partition table.
- I then selected the unallocated partition (unallocated file system, 74.53GiB, no flags), right clicked and selected New.
- I left everything as default, except changed the File System to ext4, and clicked [Add]. The Disk Label entry was left blank.
- I then selected Eddit>Apply All Operations and clicked [Apply].
- After a wait, I then get an error message "An error occured while applying the operations".
Details of this error message are:
Where am I going wrong? How can I format this USB HDD to ext4 so that I can use it with Ubuntu 12.04?
GParted 0.11.0 --enable-libparted-dmraid
Create Primary Partition #1 (ext4, 74.53 GiB) on /dev/sdc 00:00:34 ( ERROR )
create empty partition 00:00:34 ( ERROR )
size: 156,299,264 (74.53 GiB)
libparted messages ( INFO )
/dev/sdc: unrecognised disk label
Last edited by rbscairns; October 1st, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
ASUS eee B202, Atom N270 1.6GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB SATA HDD, Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome Classic