Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port 80 being denied apache2??

Beans

Port 80 being denied apache2??

Hello, I am super new to Ubuntu (first time) and I hope that this is simple, and I believe that the issues is in apache. OK, I have setup 12.4 as a web server and can access all of the software correctly from the inside local...But cannot get access to the server from the internet (outside) I have setup a server name from afraid.org and use "gatekeeper.mooo.com" I have port forwarded port 80 on my linksys router to IP 192.168.xxx.xxx....When I look at the incoming log files I can see that there is a request from the internet to my WAN port 80.....
    2012-09-30 20:25:14 TCP from <snip> to 192.168.xxx.xxx:80

But I am not getting to my server page
    Any help would be great ...Thanks
    Last edited by cariboo907; October 1st, 2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: remove hard to read font formatting, removed routable ip address

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Port 80 being denied apache2??

What do you see in /var/log/apache2/error.log and access.log?
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

SeijiSensei, Thank you for replying. If I did this correctly the access files should be attached. part 1 and part 2 due to size
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Where is error.log ? Can you see ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think your apache web server is working fine.
    I think either your port forwarding is not working properly or some other firewall rule is preventing proper operation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think apache listens on the loopback address by default. Use the command
    Code:
    netstat -lnt
    to check. You want it listening on either 0.0.0.0:80 or :::80 (either will do).

P.S. I think the config for this might be the bind address in httpd.conf.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As far as I know by default Apache will listen to all interfaces, but yes do check it as The Cog mentions. Also, we can tell from the access.log file that it is listening to the NIC.
    The file httpd.conf is now empty, and only there for history reasons, I think. The listening stuff is taken care of in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default and /etc/apache2/ports.conf

To observe if the packets are even arriving at the server computer you could run a packet sniffer:
    Code:
    sudo tcpdump -n -tttt port 80

Beans

OK,
    Here is the errorlog..also as was suspect I have been told the cablevision blocks port 80 , I have tried several others with no change in results.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I wrote web browser localhost see you default apache web page ? Can I see virtualhost file define ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by 4mike View Post
    OK,
    Here is the errorlog..also as was suspect I have been told the cablevision blocks port 80 , I have tried several others with no change in results.
    First, if Cablevision is blocking port 80, it probably means the Terms of Service on your account forbid running servers. This is a pretty common feature of the contracts from most residential providers in the US. Technically, the Forum Rules forbid us from helping in this case.

Second, you say you tried other ports. Did you try them on the router? What happens if your forward, say, port 40000 back to the server's port 80?
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast