Thread: Program guide in Mythbuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Program guide in Mythbuntu?

Hey all,

built my first Mythbox, EVerything is working great so far, except I am not getting any program guide information.

I am using an OTA ATSC signal so no cable tv at all. Did I miss something simple in the setup on the backend?

Beans

Re: Program guide in Mythbuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by cptrohn View Post
    Hey all,

built my first Mythbox, EVerything is working great so far, except I am not getting any program guide information.

I am using an OTA ATSC signal so no cable tv at all. Did I miss something simple in the setup on the backend?
    Where are you based? If the US or Canada then Schedules Direct will look after this for you. If elsewhere you will probably need to look at an xmltv solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Where are you based? If the US or Canada then Schedules Direct will look after this for you. If elsewhere you will probably need to look at an xmltv solution.
    Thanks for the response, yes the USA, so I am going to get into contact with Schedules Direct..

I missed that in the documentation, Guess I was just excited about getting the mythbox up and running... lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cptrohn View Post
    Thanks for the response, yes the USA, so I am going to get into contact with Schedules Direct..

I missed that in the documentation, Guess I was just excited about getting the mythbox up and running... lol
    It costs a small amount of money, but by all accounts is worth it.

Beans

Your digital channels include the TV programming in the signals. Analog channels do not. If you are getting your show OTA go thru your backend setup again and make sure you are selecting "bcast" for the programming. It is easy to miss. I had the same problem when I first set up my Mythtv box. It is working fine now. You may have to go thru the setup several times to get it right. It will work with the right settings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chuckrp View Post
    Your digital channels include the TV programming in the signals. Analog channels do not. If you are getting your show OTA go thru your backend setup again and make sure you are selecting "bcast" for the programming. It is easy to miss. I had the same problem when I first set up my Mythtv box. It is working fine now. You may have to go thru the setup several times to get it right. It will work with the right settings.
    Bad advice. If he is in the US Schedules Direct is by far the best solution.

Beans

I agree. While TV stations in the USA are supposed to transmit guide information in the transport, the reality is that it leaves a lot to be desired. In my area the OTA guide data ranges from none for several days on some stations to a maximum of 8+ hours from the present on on the others. In other words,this approach would be fairly useless for any of the scheduling tools available in MythTV.

You best bet is to pay for a Schedules Direct subscription.

Beans

The short time frame for schedules is most likely true for some areas. I am getting anywhere from 18-30 hours of schedules on my local stations. I have yet to miss a show that I have programmed to record. You do have to set up the recording within the schedule time limits you have the first time. Go with the paid service if you need a schedule further out that what your local channels provide.

Beans

If you are trying to push EIT for data in the US you are pushing s*** uphill.
    Last edited by nickrout; October 11th, 2012 at 07:45 AM.

Beans

All I am saying is try it and if it don't provide enough schedule information then pay for a service that does. Maybe the guy that posted the original guestion is looking for the occasional show. His stations may provide what he is looking for. My local stations are and I haven't missed an episode of anything that I am wanting since I setup my Myth box.