Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix windows xp bsod with ubuntu

Beans

Fix windows xp bsod with ubuntu

Hi there, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have been trying for a few weeks now to fix an unbootable windows xp. I get BSOD and I have no recovery cd. I have gone through numerous articles where ubuntu has rescued others but none of the solotiouns have worked for me... so... Here I am... Help me please!?!?

I am currently online with said unit with ubuntu live and must say, once I get windows fixed ubuntu is going alongside.. but till then I would appreciate any assistance.

I have tried repairing the mbr but get told I have no permissions, I've tried installing lilo and ntfsfix but still no workie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Fix windows xp bsod with ubuntu

You can always make a CD from your manufacturer of your computer (since most-all have them online) that will basically re-install Windows XP for you to fix that issue. Have you also tried and looking to see if your computer has a "ghost" drive (hidden partition) that contains a backup on Windows XP from the factory?

You won't be able to contact Microsoft with any help since Windows XP is near (or at) it's end-life of support for everyone, so try either using Ubuntu or upgrade to a newer and better version of Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by BobbiPinz View Post
    Hi there, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have been trying for a few weeks now to fix an unbootable windows xp. I get BSOD and I have no recovery cd. I have gone through numerous articles where ubuntu has rescued others but none of the solotiouns have worked for me... so... Here I am... Help me please!?!?

I am currently online with said unit with ubuntu live and must say, once I get windows fixed ubuntu is going alongside.. but till then I would appreciate any assistance.

I have tried repairing the mbr but get told I have no permissions, I've tried installing lilo and ntfsfix but still no workie.
    Does an error appears when you try to boot XP? Like NTLDR missing or something?
    If your documents and files in the XP partiion are important to you, I suggest you backup them now to an external drive while you are in live mode. In the event you can't fix your XP, you're can just reinstall it.

Beans

Try Rescatux, it fixes windows MBR. I have used with XP and it works.

Beans

Why do you think it is a MBR problem ? It likely is not with a BSOD but could be. What happens if you try safemode ? (tap F8 duing booting to get boot menu). would agree with nerdtron backing up important data and more infor on problem.

You may need to do a web search on how to make a Recovery Console cd.

Beans

It won't boot into safemode, lkgc, nothing. It doesn't say there is a problem other than error code 0xc000012f
    I've tried recovery console and a number of other recovery systems (avira) etc. That's why I've resorted to ubuntu.
    To try most others you have to at least be able to get into safemode
    Last edited by BobbiPinz; April 10th, 2013 at 05:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

BSOD is generally caused by some malfunction in the XP itself. Or some bad install/update/upgrade in XP.

If you have a XP repair CD or XP installation Disk then you can use that to repair that. You might be able to use Ubuntu to recover the "crash dump" File Location: %systemroot%; File extension: .DMP by mounting the XP C: partition, and perhaps be able to determine what went wrong. However, it may not be of any help if you are unable to boot into XP. Perhaps, REINSTALLING XP can be an option. When Using Windows ALWAYS CREATE A REPAIR DISK.

For more: http://www.xpforums.com/search.php?searchid=26
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Support.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LostFarmer View Post
    Why do you think it is a MBR problem ? It likely is not with a BSOD but could be. What happens if you try safemode ? (tap F8 duing booting to get boot menu). would agree with nerdtron backing up important data and more infor on problem.

You may need to do a web search on how to make a Recovery Console cd.
    Ok, I had a DUH! moment. BSOD blue screen of death, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbiPinz View Post
    It won't boot into safemode, lkgc, nothing. It doesn't say there is a problem other than error code 0xc000012f
    I've tried recovery console and a number of other recovery systems (avira) etc. That's why I've resorted to ubuntu.
    To try most others you have to at least be able to get into safemode
    Seen this?
    how to fix blue screen error c0000021a status of 0xc000012f fatal system error?
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast