Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need feedback on Unity performance in 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Need feedback on Unity performance in 12.10

I am a KDE user and every Ubuntu release, I try the latest Unity or Gnome (back in the old days), release. Since 11.10 KDE outperformed unity on my system and testing it wasn't pleasant; scrolling was slow and the UI wan't snappy.

I do not have a high end system but it should be able to run any DE properly since it basically is capable of this on KDE.

My hardware:

CPU: Intel Atom x86 1.6 Ghz FSB 533mhz (motherboard overclocks it to 1.8 Ghz I think)
    Memory: 2GB DDR2 FSB 800mhz
    Graphics: Intel GMA 950 (945 express)
    Hard drive: 5400rmp HDD

Has anyone used Ubuntu 12.10 on similar hardware and is it fast?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need feedback on Unity performance in 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    I do not have a high end system but it should be able to run any DE properly [...]

Has anyone used Ubuntu 12.10 on similar hardware and is it fast?
    I'm running ancient iron (see sig)...

Unity performs nicely, thank you, if you turn off some (compiz) features.

See this thread, for details: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064664
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I'm running ancient iron (see sig)...

Unity performs nicely, thank you, if you turn off some (compiz) features.

See this thread, for details: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064664
    Still better than mine though. Though I think mine can transfer between Ram and Processor faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity preforms nice on my desktop and laptop but memory use is higher than it was on the last release. Processor use is much better and I am hoping that memory use will go down a bit by the time this is released as final. For a beta release 12.10 runs very well and at least on my systems all of the graphical gliches I saw in 12.04 are not present in 12.10. I was going to stay with 12.04 on my computers but 12.10 runs so much better that I am going to go with it instead. Unity is really looking good in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

exploder...a little but off topic, but i have been testing the live iso session of 12.10 beta 2 and i agree with you. that it's really nice and i think i will also be switching over from 12.04 when it is released..

I was tempted to install it now, but i did note one bug on the live session in that it seems like it is stuck with the monitor turning off at the default 10 minute interval...if i change it to say, 30 minutes, 1 hr or never, it still turns off at 10 minutes...

Some here mentioned that that bug hasn't as yet been fixed, and they even get it on their installed 12.10..

Just curious, does yours work properly? If not, did you find an easy work around for it?
    Thanks...

By the way, while i had mixed feeling when unity was first introduced, ii must say that since i installed 12.04 a few months ago, i have come to really enjoy it a LOT....and i like what i am seeing on the 12.10 live session...looks like there are some very nice improvements in unity and the whole system overall!
    Last edited by craig10x; September 30th, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I was tempted to install it now, but i did note one bug on the live session in that it seems like it is stuck with the monitor turning off at the default 10 minute interval...
    Workaround (nice for watching long videos/movies, too): http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...08&postcount=8

Monitor never times out.

Resets @ boot...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    exploder...a little but off topic, but i have been testing the live iso session of 12.10 beta 2 and i agree with you. that it's really nice and i think i will also be switching over from 12.04 when it is released..

I was tempted to install it now, but i did note one bug on the live session in that it seems like it is stuck with the monitor turning off at the default 10 minute interval...if i change it to say, 30 minutes, 1 hr or never, it still turns off at 10 minutes...

Some here mentioned that that bug hasn't as yet been fixed, and they even get it on their installed 12.10..

Just curious, does yours work properly? If not, did you find an easy work around for it?
    Thanks...

By the way, while i had mixed feeling when unity was first introduced, ii must say that since i installed 12.04 a few months ago, i have come to really enjoy it a LOT....and i like what i am seeing on the 12.10 live session...looks like there are some very nice improvements in unity and the whole system overall!
    Are these performance improvements and do you have an under powered system like mine to test on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

craig10x, I have not had the trouble of my monitor turning off on either of the systems I have 12.10 installed on. Maybe I am just lucky but everything seems to be working nicely so far. Glad to see you testing 12.10 and I appreciate reading you comments and findings. You view Unity with an open minded point of view and I appreciate that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks exploder and vin...kio, i have a new laptop with i3 intel core...4 gb ram....so i can't really judge how it would be on an older laptop and this is my only computer at home...hopefully, someone with a similar computer to yours will post some feedback

By the way, exploder...what i do with unity is i place all my favorites (and even most apps i use less frequently) on the unity launcher for quick 1 click access...so, rarely need to use the search function (dash)...works out great and i don't miss having the lower panel, slab menu (conventional) style set up that much...I make the icons on unity smaller (about 38 pixels) and auto hide it...love the global menu, by the way (space saving)...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 30th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

vinDSL...quick update...tried your temporary work around...works the charm

so, i assume when i would re-boot on an installed 12.10, i would need to enter the command in the terminal each time, right?
    (it only works for the session, true?) actually better if it does, that way i can see when it actually does get fixed...

thanks to your workaround, think i will probably go ahead and install 12.10 and watch for an update that fixes it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast