Thread: Can Someone Please explain "MiniTube"?

Beans

Can Someone Please explain "MiniTube"?

Running Ubuntu 12.04 Ppc. on eMac Powerpc (G4), 1 Ghz. processor, 40 GB hard drive, 1 GB RAM.

As most of you know, there are no good Flash options for the combination shown above. I've learned to survive nicely using Download Helper and playing videos with Gnome Player or VLC. But I recently discovered MiniTube and was tempted by its ability to immediately play a Flash video without downloading.

I installed the software from the repository and what I got was a nice GUI with what looks like a TV for a window (cleaver), and a search bar. I simply enter in the name or subject I'm looking for and almost immediately I get a host of Youtube video headers on the left side of the screen with a transparent arrow on the one at the top. When I click on this, it plays wonderfully - for a few seconds, then scrolls automatically to the next video, plays for a few seconds and then on to the next, as if it's only showing previews of each one. No matter what I click on in the menus above, it behaves the same.

FYI, I have also installed MiniTube on an older G4 running Mint Linux 11 Ppc, and on an old low-spec "emachines" computer of my brother's that's running WattOS R-6 (cut down version of Ubuntu 12.04 - Lubuntu wouldn't run on it). In each case, it reacts exactly the same. I have to believe that's there's some simple, basic functionality that I'm just not getting. Could someone weigh-in and tell me what I'm missing?
    "Discovery begins when you throw away the instruction manual!"

Beans

Re: Can Someone Please explain "MiniTube"?

I forgot to include in my previous post that I scoured the internet and these forums for a tutorial on MiniTube, but was unable to find anything I could use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: Can Someone Please explain "MiniTube"?

Thanks philinux -

The command for "WebUpd8ppa" seems to be what was missing. I haven't been able to try it on everything yet, but so far it has worked on two of four computers I have Minitube installed on.

What I did was to uninstall Minitube, execute the "WebUpd8ppa" command, then reinstall Minitube. Don't know if it was necessary to uninstall and reinstall, but that's what I did and it worked - for me anyway. I'll go ahead and mark this thread as "Solved".