Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting a wireless router - DSL pppoe

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Setting a wireless router - DSL pppoe

Thanks steeldriver.

Would you have a suggestion for a router/networking forum.

And probably, would you know if the below is correct or not.

In the standalone laptop scenario, I see the LAN connection configured with the 169.254.x.y details and another WAN miniport pppoe connection, which I dial to connect to internet.

So, the 169 ip belongs to DHCP client page? Or does it belong to the PPPoE page in the screenshots.

Beans

I'm not very knowledgeable about these things, but I believe you should ignore the 169.254.xxx.xxx address altogether - it is my understanding that it's just a guaranteed private (APIPA) IP that (particularly Windows) clients fall back to when they are expecting a DHCP supplied IP and don't get one

If I were you I would try configuring the WAN as

Connection type: PPPoE
    Obtain IP address automatically

with your username and password credentials and see if that 'just works' - if it doesn't and you believe you should have a fixed IP then you will probably need to contact your ISP to get it
    Last edited by steeldriver; October 1st, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

ok...thanks.

any recommendation for the router / networking forums?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Setting a wireless router - LAN + pppoe

I have tried searching elsewhere and the issue still remains. It would be great if someone can give some pointers.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Trying one more time on ubuntuforums.

Anyone please. Thanks.

Beans

Sorry I don't understand what your issue is - what exactly is going wrong?

If you previously connected your PC to a modem directly (using a PPPoE client on the computer) and you have now introduced a router to the mix, then usually you would set up the router to do the PPPoE side of things and then connect the computer to the router with a regular DHCP LAN connection. The computer would just see it as any other wired or wireless ethernet infrastructure connection.

It should be as simple as selecting PPPoE on the WAN side of the router and plugging in your old credentials (username and password)

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you steeldriver.

Just seeing your post now as I wasn't expecting any replies on this thread

I will try to simplify it more and list out my setup and issue.

CURRENT SETUP
    - A lan cable from ISP connects to my laptop.
    - I have to dial-in a "WAN miniport PPPoE" connection on my laptop to get connected to internet. This connection requires a user name and password.
    - As per ISP, the internet connection is linked to the MAC address of this particular laptop, so I cannot use another laptop to connect to the internet.
    - I have setup ad-hoc networking to share this PPPoE connection over WiFi and that is how my other devices receive internet connection.

DESIRED SETUP
    - Use a wireless router in the above conditions to replace the laptop so that the laptop doesn't get tied down to this assumed role of "router".

ISSUE
    (Please refer to screenshots in one of my previous posts to help understand the below points.)

Screenshot 1 - wan_menu_dropdown
    This lists the type of WAN connections I can use on the router.

Question 1 : should I use "DHCP client or fixed IP" or "PPPoE" in the dropdown.

Screenshot 2 - dhcp_client_fixed_ip_page
    This shows the settings available if I select "DHCP client or fixed IP" from the dropdown in screenshot 1.

Question 2 : This has most of the settings that I need to do on the laptop like assigning a LAN IP which the ISP has provided to my laptop, cloning of the MAC address, and so on. But this does not have the option to put in username and password for the PPPoE connection that I have to dial to connect to internet.

Screenshot 3 - pppoe_page
    This shows the settings available if I select "PPPoE" from the dropdown in screenshot 1.

Question 3 : If I use this dropdown, then I can specify the username/password and other things but can't clone the MAC address.

Question 4 : Is it correct to specify the IP that the ISP has given for LAN connection in here in the "WAN IP" field.

Thank you once again and hope this helps clarify things a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12