Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting a wireless router - DSL pppoe

Beans
    Hidden!

Setting a wireless router - DSL pppoe

Greetings,

I have an ad hoc setup on my laptop to share its Internet connection and now bought a wireless router (Trendnet TEW-432BRP).
    But don't know where in its configuration to enter the below details. Can someone please point out or let me know if it's even possible.

For internet access, there is a LAN cable coming in from ISP and has a static IP on it. Then there is a PPPoE connection which I have to dial to get connected to Internet.

LAN IP - 169.254.xx.xx
    subnet - 255.255.0.0
    gateway - 192.168.0.1

PPPoE uses a username and password. The connection is also restricted to a MAC address, my laptop's MAC in this case. I probably would also need MAC cloning. Is that true?

Thanks for any pointers.
    Last edited by ppv; September 30th, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Setting a wireless router - DSL pppoe

Moved to Networking & Wireless.

Beans
    Hidden!

I will try to upload screenshots of the router's configuration page, if that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

bump.

Beans

it seems like is should be straightforward to setup pppoe on the router (Router Setup --> Internet Connection Type)

http://www.trendnet.com/asp/download...asp?iFile=5981

what exactly is the problem?

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks steeldriver for the reply.

pppoe setup probably looks to be simpler.

But where should I put the LAN configuration on the router setup page. Should I assign the LAN IP that the ISP has given to the router?

Please note the difference of subnets of the LAN IP and gateway.

I also likely need MAC cloning.

Beans

I assume you're talking about the WAN side? I'm pretty sure that 169.254.x.y is not a valid WAN side address - usually this would be an address range belonging to your ISP

169.254.x.y addresses are part of the automatic private address range (APIPA) and usually only pop up when the network is misconfigured, I think

According to the manual I linked before, the MAC address can be set as part of the WAN setup, same place you would enter the ISP-supplied WAN IP:

This screen enables user to set up the router WAN connection, specify the IP
    address for the WAN, add DNS numbers, and enter the MAC address.
    Connection Type: Select the connection type, either DHCP client, Fixed IP or
    PPPoE from the drop-down list.
    WAN IP: Select whether user wants to specify an IP address manually, or want
    DHCP to obtain an IP address automatically. When Specify IP is selected, type the
    IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the text boxes. User’s ISP will
    provide with this information.
    DNS 1/2/3: Type up to three DNS numbers in the text boxes. User’s ISP will
    MAC Address: If required by user’s ISP, type the MAC address of the router WAN
    interface in this field.
    DNS 1/2/3: Type up to three DNS numbers in the text boxes. User’s ISP will

Beans
    Hidden!

ok...let me try it out... get back in a few minutes.

Beans
    Hidden!

ok..so I tried doing it but on WAN configuration page there is a drop down. I see all the settings fields that are required but they are not all available in a single selection within the drop down. Some settings are available in the "DHCP client or FIXED IP" page while others are available on the "PPPoE" page.

Please see attachment screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

well I'm not sure I can offer much advice since I'm not familiar with your setup - in my experience it is username and password for DSL / PPPoE connections and MAC based authentication for cable modems - I've never seen both required

in any case it's not really a Ubuntu question - maybe you would get better advice on your ISP support pages or a router / networking forum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast