Thread: Limit skype memory usage?

Beans

Exclamation Limit skype memory usage?

Hi all,

I have had this problem on and off since the beginning with skype: Sometimes it just eats all my memory and swapspace and then it crashes.... This whole process takes about 10 minutes to complete.

Now my question is: Can I limit the maximum amount of memory that skype uses, and how?

I have seen some general info about how to do this, but I'd rather have some specific info before I try it.

Thanks!
    "Umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye bantu" - Xhosa saying.
    (People are people because of other people)

Beans

Re: Limit skype memory usage?

I don't know about memory in particular, but you could look into using the 'nice' command. It will let you give priority to certain processes and thus you could give skype a lower priority to operate so it doesnt use all your resources.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Limit skype memory usage?

No, I really need to limit the ammount of ram and swap avaiable to skype. I have checked it when it goes al weird on me and it does eat up all my ram and then all my swap, changeing the "nice'ness isn't gonna change a thing, well maybe it will crash a bit faster ...

So anyone got way of doing this?
    "Umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye bantu" - Xhosa saying.
    (People are people because of other people)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Limit skype memory usage?

I did a google search and found this http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...-linux-process but it seems a bit technical, i'm out of my depth for one Several commenters on the question posted supplementary links though! Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cgroups good luck!
    Last edited by blackbird34; November 17th, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U