Re: Auto login selection not working with gdm

Okey dokey, here's what I've learned.

Just removing the comments here are not enough:

Code:
    [daemon]
    # Enabling automatic login
    #  AutomaticLoginEnable = true
    #  AutomaticLogin = user1
    The user name must actually be set to the true username, eg: lance - no real surprise there

Regarding the log-out issue I'm also wrong. Once auto-login is set, whether manually by editing "/etc/gdm/custom.conf" or during installation, then log-out does NOT work.

But if you install Ubuntu GNOME Remix w/o choosing auto-login the the log-out option works just fine.

Does this make sense

About reporting a bug. I have a Launchpad account, but no Bugzilla account, so I'd appreciate some help

I'm just a tired, old tester that ain't quite ready to hang up his cyber-spurs yet

Beans

Purely as a usability work-around I installed lightdm by installing the package 'lightdm-gtk-greeter'. Then I purged the ppa packages so I'm back to using only native packages with the proposed repo activated.

Now that I'm using lightdm auto-login selection using gnome-control-center works fine, and log out works fine whether auto-login is set to yes or no.

So tista is clearly correct about gdm being buggy

Edit: I just thought to add, the reason I mentioned specifically installing 'lightdm-gtk-greeter' is because if you try to just install 'lightdm' it wants to install the unity greeter and a lot of other unneeded pkgs like compiz.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; October 2nd, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Beans

I'm testing the latest gdm from Ricotz staging (along with all other packages in Ricotz testing & staging and the Gnome 3 PPA) and the issue about gdm not following the settings applied in System Settings appears to be fixed

But the log out issue still exists if auto-login is selected. And I got an automated crash report this time:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1063267

I'll follow up more later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12