Thread: Stereo to RCA splitter actually duplicating left channel only

Beans

Stereo to RCA splitter actually duplicating left channel only

My brother has just noticed that I'm not hearing the right channel in my Mythbuntu (10.10) setup. I'm using a Stereo to RCA splitter cable (like this) and I've downloaded the sweep left and sweep right test sounds here but I can only ever hear the left one.

If I plug only the right channel in, I still hear the left test sound, and if I only plug in the left channel, I naturally hear the left sound, too. But I never get to hear the right sound. If I plug in a pair of headphones, I hear left in left and right in right.

Does anybody else use these Stereo to RCA splitter cables? I'm guessing (and would hope!) that it's not a "feature" to duplicate one channel in both the red and white RCA connectors. So mine must surely be faulty?

I've never noticed a problem until now (except that sometimes I have to turn the volume up when certain people speak, so I guess that was a symptom all along).

I'm going to buy a new one tomorrow but I'd like to hear from anybody using a similar setup, to see if yours is similarly plagued.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Stereo to RCA splitter actually duplicating left channel only

If you hear left and right through headphones then I'd guess the cable is faulty

I've got loads of those cables kicking around - never had an issue with duplicated channels though.

Beans

Re: Stereo to RCA splitter actually duplicating left channel only

I did some more testing and it seems I can just hear the right-channel-only test sound file, but only between the 2nd and 3rd seconds, and it's very faint indeed. it must be that I can still hear the sound that is not dedicated left or right (there must be a shared centre sound channel that is played in both left and right speakers) but anything that's dedicated on the right channel I just can't hear at all (or it's extremely dim).