Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need dns cache-dnsmasq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Need dns cache-dnsmasq

Making server for school. ISP is PPPoe. internet-modem/router-server-WAN(eth0)-LAN(eth2)-switch-clients. eth0 is dhcp. eth2 is static 10.10.0.1 255.255.255.0.
    I am attemting to use dnsmasq to create dns caching and dhcp on LAN.
    I commented out dns-dnsmasq in NM, downloaded and installed dnsmasq, and configured dnsmasq.conf, but no caching and no dhcp. If clients are set to static ip and gateway, etc. then they go to internet fine. dig shows repeated 50ms to google.com and client shows "unknown network no internet" when i re-set the properties to dhcp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Need dns cache-dnsmasq

I would suggest you to use Bind and dhcpd and also add on the way webmin and you will get a server that gives you good interface and results for your needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been working along, and got dns caching going with Bind9, but the cache dies on reboot. DHCP is going with isc-dhcp-server and working well.
    Need to get cache to persist so multiple clients on LAN can access and will persist over time.
    I have tried to get webmin, but every direction fails with a broken link or unavailable source. The mirror link fails, the sourceforge link from their website gives 404 error. I did manage to download the tarball, but can't find an autorun or anything I can ./... dpkg tries to find it online and fails. Frustrating, it sounds great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Where there's a will...webmin up and running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry, but it's got to be dnsmasq. Server is working, but not caching. Removed dhcp3-server, ufw and bind9. I really don't like the idea of webmin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update: Getting online from client, getting dhcp assignment, but no caching (it was not forwarding. Added POSTROUTING command to /etc/rc.local) This is dnsmasq, supposedly cache by default. I did go for webmin. No ufw, no NM,no bind9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Are you using the server version, or the desktop? Network Manager is not installed by default in the server version as far as I know. So I don't understand why are you mentioning it. Did you install it?

On another note, setting up dnsmasq for dns caching is very easy. And for dhcp too.

Open the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file and find the line:
    #interface=

Remove the # symbol and add the interface you want it to serve dns to, for example:
    interface=eth1

That should be the interface leading to the clients (local LAN).

As for dhcp, it's disabled by default so find the line that says like:
    #dhcp-range=......

Change it to:
    dhcp-range=eth1,192.168.1.100,192.168.1.200,7d

The subnet I used is just an example, change it to the range that you want to issue with the dhcp. You can see that you can also specify the interface where you want the dhcp to be served.

That should be it. Restart the server and check if it's working.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That's exactly what's been done. Apparently the gnome package put NM back in. This is the server 64bit LTS with gnome added. Everythings works great, thanks to your prior help. It just doesn't cache, however. When I ping google.com from the client I get the same 83 ms as many times as I want to bother. Since we last exchanged I formatted and re-installed one last time due to a screw up with permissions and passwords I created. I was very carefull to do as little as possible as far as configuration goes, as I had heard the caching is supposed to be a default. I'm not losing sleep over it, but I would like to get it going, and hopefully learn something too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yeah, but what dns are the clients using? Remember that you need to tell dnsmasq dhcp to send that info to the clients like you needed to do with the router IP.

If you clients are windows, what does ipconfig /all say for dns server? Is it the ubuntu server IP?

PS. Why are you adding gnome to a server, for GUI?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

windows clients say dns is 10.10.0.1. There are several reasons I added gnome, but mostly a gui. I've got a fair amount of hdd room (500 gb) ram is 2 gb, so I think I can live with it. One reason is I'm partly disabled and my right hand is missing some parts. I get tired of typing with my thumb. I plan on developing a website hosted on this server and wanted gimp, kompozer, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast