Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "New" OpenGL settings: Potential improvement vs. performance decrease - Worth it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "New" OpenGL settings: Potential improvement vs. performance decrease - Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post
    I'll note performance is a funny thing -- sometimes changing options to have something feel faster actually makes it slower (but what do you care, it feels faster right?). The sync to vblank is an obvious one for any gamer. Turn it off first thing.. If your a hardcore gamer though, instead you buy a nice card, 120hz monitor, and turn it on. It's critical for proper gameplay

The unity team described the changes as a meeting in the middle. For some performance would be worse, others it would be better. But overall, it would be predictable and "correct". And they valued that over any small performance loss.
    Disregarding Sync to VBlank, which is known to all of us, the other settings cut my performance in more than half and produce more artifacts and graphics errors (that do not occur when they are disabled). I have now tested with GTS450, GT9500, GT9800. The Dash is unusable in high-end hardware with these cards and these options enabled.

I can understand their long-term goals, but IMO these options are not ready for 12.10 and should be disabled by default. That would be the safest strategy, which we know will not be the one chosen. Instead we will see Ubuntu once again burn it's branding in release week and before with all support forums, blogs, etc globally complaining about the drop in graphics performance and suggesting workarounds.

That's just the way it is and has been for the last releases. No change in that.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

Re: "New" OpenGL settings: Potential improvement vs. performance decrease - Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post

I can understand their long-term goals, but IMO these options are not ready for 12.10 and should be disabled by default.
    Part of an issue there may be those settings, all or most, may provide better performance when using open source drivers, I certainly can see that here.
    With nouveau - disabling them causes noticeably poorer performance and much greater chance of various artifacts, ect.
    With them enabled for the most part things run smoothly - I can cause issues with the Dash thru certain actions & overall 12.10 is 'slower' than 12.04 with or without those options, nouveau or nvidia
    (but then compiz 0.9.x is slower than 0.8 in many areas

I think they need to base their defaults on what's best for the open source drivers, whether my experience is widespread or an 'exception' no clue though I'm also not sure of the testing base hardware wise for those making these decisions..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Part of an issue there may be those settings, all or most, may provide better performance when using open source drivers, I certainly can see that here.
    With nouveau - disabling them causes noticeably poorer performance and much greater chance of various artifacts, ect.
    With them enabled for the most part things run smoothly - I can cause issues with the Dash thru certain actions & overall 12.10 is 'slower' than 12.04 with or without those options, nouveau or nvidia
    (but then compiz 0.9.x is slower than 0.8 in many areas

I think they need to base their defaults on what's best for the open source drivers, whether my experience is widespread or an 'exception' no clue though I'm also not sure of the testing base hardware wise for those making these decisions..
    You have a good point. I have never adopted Nouveau as default in my installs, maybe it makes sense for Nouveau users. I have tested these options a lot when using the proprietary driver in some different cards and IMO it doesn't look good so far. I'm willing to bet we will have problems in release week and after that. The impact on the Dash responsiveness is really noticeable.

Maybe these options should be enabled if Nouveau is loaded and disabled if nvidia-proprietary is loaded. Not hard at all programatically.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

I've only gone to nouveau on this older (4yr.) laptop, 8400m, because the nvidia drivers in conjunction with compiz-0.9.x have just continued to get worse & worse while nouveau has gone from unusable to very good in 12.10 though it is not without some issues.

Whether this is due to nvidia drivers, compiz-0.9, or both is quite hard to tell as I can't test older nvidia in newer X though in past Windows days I never assumed newer nvidia releases were a given to be better for hardware in hand.
    (and to some extent in Windows one has a bit more choice as to driver to use & as I remember on laptops I just stuck to vendor supplied nvidia drivers/updates

If I was to get a new laptop, (not currently possible), I'd have to take a hard look at Not getting nvidia where as in the past it was a no-brainer (as far as linux/Ubuntu.

If I was to get a new desktop then probably would still stick with nvidia & adjust as needed as you've done.
    I'd guess that there wouldn't be much interest in changing compiz options based on driver even if it made complete sense
    (is there actually any way to alter those options except initially thru ccsm??
    Maybe an override?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345