Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "New" OpenGL settings: Potential improvement vs. performance decrease - Worth it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "New" OpenGL settings: Potential improvement vs. performance decrease - Worth it?

I've been running with effenberg0x0's suggestions, and the only thing I've noticed is some weirdness in chromium,, where the previous page partially shows, after going back to an index page. Of course if I take a screenshot, everything looks as it should.

Beans
    Distro

Re: "New" OpenGL settings: Potential improvement vs. performance decrease - Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I've been running with effenberg0x0's suggestions, and the only thing I've noticed is some weirdness in chromium,, where the previous page partially shows, after going back to an index page. Of course if I take a screenshot, everything looks as it should.
    Cariboo, is the Dash just as responsive with or without those settings enabled for you? I can see a very noticeable improvement when I disable them, or at least VSync and "Framebuffer Object".

By the way, I'm not sure yet but there seems to be some problem with dual monitors and NVidia's Dynamic Twinview (which is applied by default when you have more than one monitor) and those settings, that causes some lag in OpenGL, including the Dash.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

I removed all settings.
    Performance got a lot better, but I got a lot of tearing in XBMC. That disappeared when I set "sync to vblank".
    When I move around windows, some parts remains on the display for a very short period.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I've been running with effenberg0x0's suggestions, and the only thing I've noticed is some weirdness in chromium,, where the previous page partially shows, after going back to an index page.[...]
    Yes, exactly! Thank you!

I was struggling to find the right words to describe the situation, and "artifacts" popped into my head.

I've also noticed "artifacts" in things other than Chromium. For instance, when I'm banging out code...

I might have 2-3 instances of the file manager running, 5-6 instances of the text editor (some with root auth), 4-5 terminals open, blah, blah, blah, all in the same user workspace, e.g. same desktop.

As I switch back n' forth between all of these windows, sometimes they don't totally disappear into the background. Some of the time, "artifacts" of the inactive windows are still visible in the active window.

I haven't had this reoccur, since I enabled "Always use buffer swapping" in CCSM. Dittos for Chromium...
    Last edited by VinDSL; October 3rd, 2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by P-I H View Post
    I removed all settings.

Performance got a lot better, but I got a lot of tearing in XBMC.[...]

When I move around windows, some parts remains on the display for a very short period.
    Again... I used the words "smearing" & "artifacts" to describe these situations.

All of us are experiencing the same problem(s), eh what? We're just using different terms of art.

Interesting!

EDIT

In case you didn't read the above reply...

I haven't had these reoccur, since I enabled "Always use buffer swapping" in CCSM.

Last edited by VinDSL; October 3rd, 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    OBS: Do you notice any screen corruption when loading lightdm and right after you fill in your password and press enter (before the Unity desktop loads)?

I'm seeing complete art-deco screens for 2 to 5 seconds before the desktop shows normally with these settings (not all the times I login though, It's erratic - hard to debug or report).
    Yes n' no! LoL!

I *think* they added the "art-deco" effect, a day or two ago. However, on my machine, the "art-deco" effect stays inside the login box after you press [Enter].

From your description, it sounds like this effect is mirgrating outside the boundaries of the login box, and corrupting the whole screen.

If this is the case, then yes, a bug report would be warranted...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@VinDSL: I see that you have 7600GT card like I do. Do you have problems with black windows, frozen video when you go fullscreen or enlarge a video window? I had that problem back in beta of 12.04, and then, few days after final release, it was fixed with some update. Now on 12.10 beta, I have it again. Back in 12.04 beta, it started to do that when I changed monitors, from 17" 1280x1024 to 23" 1920x1080. So I guess there is some video memory leak or some debuging thing going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    WoW!

( Bear in mind, I'm running a GeForce 7600GT )

Disabling those settings allowed me to go from 60 FPS => 3,000 FPS
    That was because you disabled sync to v blank. That setting forces the system to run at the monitor refresh rate.

If you re-enable the other settings, but leave sync to v blank disabled, you should still see the higher frame rates.

I prefer to leave it on as it eliminates tearing in videos and other full screen windows. I only disable it when playing games like UT2K4.

Although supposedly, the tearing is now controlled by enabling the vertex buffer and always use buffer swapping.

In fact, it is only the sync to v blank setting in the nvidia driver that effects this. I just tried turning it off in the driver, but leaving it on in the ccsm settings and my glx gears went from 60 fps to 14,500.

By leaving it on in ccsm and off in the driver, I can get my nice smooth full screen video with no tearing and I get good frame rates in the game. Sweet!
    Last edited by mgmiller; October 3rd, 2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: updated info
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Cariboo, is the Dash just as responsive with or without those settings enabled for you? I can see a very noticeable improvement when I disable them, or at least VSync and "Framebuffer Object".

By the way, I'm not sure yet but there seems to be some problem with dual monitors and NVidia's Dynamic Twinview (which is applied by default when you have more than one monitor) and those settings, that causes some lag in OpenGL, including the Dash.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    The dash, and everything else are definitely faster, than before the changes.

Code:
    cariboo@alexis:~$ glxgears
    4426 frames in 5.0 seconds = 885.042 FPS
    4753 frames in 5.0 seconds = 950.431 FPS
    4756 frames in 5.0 seconds = 951.048 FPS
    4767 frames in 5.0 seconds = 953.287 FPS
    4756 frames in 5.0 seconds = 951.180 FPS
    4726 frames in 5.0 seconds = 945.179 FPS
    the above resiult is with sync to Vblank turned off, and this is the result with it turned on:

Code:
    cariboo@alexis:~$ glxgears
    Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
    approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
    294 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.784 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.949 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.932 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.965 FPS
    299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.733 FPS

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That is a huge difference

As some tweakings have been made, a report should be usefull to reset some options instead of turning them all on. Seems we have made all the same conclusion about disabling these options and looks not affecting recent hardware but all the oldies.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast