Thread: Graphics "Mode Not Supported" after boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Graphics "Mode Not Supported" after boot

Hi,

My monitor broke the other day and so I had to go out and get a new one. The resolution of my old monitor and the resolution set on ubuntu is 1440x900. The new max resolution of my new monitor is 1360x768. When I select Ubuntu from the GRUB list, it shows ubuntu studio loading screen, and then goes to a message saying "Mode Not Supported"

I can boot into recovery mode and access the recovery menu, but when I select failsafex i still get the same "Mode Not Supported" message. I can access the terminal just fine and can type in commands.

Is there a way I can manually change the screen resolution to 1360x768 through the recovery menu or the terminal? Or to reset the resolution settings on ubuntu to 800x600? So I can at least log in?

Thank you for the help
    Last edited by Musick Man; September 30th, 2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Title more specific

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Graphics "Mode Not Supported" after boot

Start in recovery mode. Then pick failsafe X when you have picked this option there is a second option to reconfigure the graphics. Select that option and you should be OK.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I tried that and it flashed the terminal super fast and then went to "mode not supported" again before I could make any changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well it looks like hand editing xorg.conf, in a tty you should be able to do this. Have a look at this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1975128

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In the terminal you can also use xrandr to check what resolutions your video card supports that X knows about. You can also use xrandr to set a new video mode and startx or /etc/init.d/lightdm to start your GUI.

The nomodeset kernel option is usually used to get to a 'safe' video mode, but that is if your new monitor's EDID is correctly interpreted. This is put on the line which begins with vmlinuz and may be followed with vga=792 for 1024x768 @ 60Hz 24-bit color or other modes spelled out @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_B...o_mode_numbers