Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Environments: what I am learning so far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Desktop Environments: what I am learning so far

This is not possible. I only have my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC. I don't have another spare PC to test on.

Beans

In that case I would suggest you consider the life cycle of your SSD and ease up a bit, choose a Distro and DE and persevere with it.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro

I turned on TRIM support and I minimized the number of writes and I switched to the noop scheduler for my SSD. I already installed most of the popular DEs. My Crucial M4 SSD has a 3 year warranty so I should be good to go for a long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

"Trying out a DE" takes a bit of time! It took me a year to choose a favorite (and three more DEs have come along since then) because really exploring a desktop environment is soooooo much more than just the default settings of whatever DE your distro comes with. My friend had his Xfce looking more like Unity (only faster on his old hardware) after playing with settings and changing icon sets, themes and such. Xfce is so versatile and configurable it will take a long time for me just to finish exploring the possibilities of it. I know the same is true for all the others.

Don't rush, take time to play with each one before you swap it for another. And have you tried no desktop environment at all yet? You'll be amazed at what can be done with just a window manager (have a look at some screenshots from Crunchbang Linux users to see what awesomeness can come from a setup with only the Openbox window manager and Conky).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    This is going to be shorter than usual for me. I tried Ubuntu Unity... Ubuntu Unity is the dumbed down version of Ubuntu made for the masses.
    You obviously didn't try Unity for long enough.

Either that, or you're echo'ing what a lot of internet trolls are saying.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

...Ubuntu Unity is the dumbed down version of Ubuntu made for the masses. It is supposed to look and feel like Apple Macintosh OS X.
    I don't agree Unity has been designed to emulate OSX. A launcher is exposed by mousing to a screen edge yes, but that's hardly revolutionary anymore and OSX has nothing comparable to Unity dash. If anything OSX Lion, with additions like Mission Control is becoming more like Gnome3 and (IMO) is causing as much unrest with OSX users who use a Mac as a production machine as Unity ever has amongst Ubuntu users.
    Last edited by DogMatix; October 2nd, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nothing wrong with imitating something that works and looks good.

I tried bohdi with E17 and still have XP. I keep coming back to Unity. With the USC and synaptic, I can find or add just about anything, quickly.

I only have 4 things on my launcher at the moment, home folder, FF, Penguin solitaire, and VB for the Win8 preview and anything else I might try.

BTW Win8 does not seem so bad to me. From Metro I click the desktop icon and poof there it is almost like XP. Press the super key (or windows key, hehe) to get to everything else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another topic seems to be left side vs right side things.

In my country we read a page from upper left to lower right. It is therefore natural to go to the upper left to start something and go right for less important things. IMO anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Anyone have any numbers that would support that claim? Please don't say "DistroWatch."
    I don't take some posts seriously enough to question them
    Distrowatch is not the best but rather a good indicator of which operating system is downloaded the most times. I've been around on the Linux Mint forum for a while and i must say that most new visitors/users of that forum are Ubuntu refugees mainly for the reason of not liking Unity. I've been testing many Linux OS's myself and i must say that Mint + Mate looks really nice and works good. Cinnamon same thing, but very buggy and unstable at this moment. I really hope that they develop Cinnamon in such way that it becomes a very stable and (almost) bugfree DE!

Welly Wu did made some good points about all the DE's and especially Unity. My opinion about Unity fit's his idea, to me it's more of a netbook DE rather than a desktop DE. The icon's are way to big and can't be resized (if this is possible...).

Gnome made a wrong turn when introducing Gnome3 and with this Canonical's Unity. I got the feeling that Gnome (and in the end also Canonical) didn't listened to the end-users. I think neither both of them did some good survey about what end-users want, really want. Canonical came up with a solution to avoid using the Gnome3 DE, basically it is some ridiculus solution imho. Unity is still in development, the whole DE cannot be set up the way users want, it's been stripped from a lot of configuration and tweaking options (and Gnome3 as well). I mean, why is it not possible to place the unity bar at the bottom? Why is it not possible to add app's to the taskbar at the top? Why can't the icon's be made smaller? Why let Canonical made it happen that the DE decides what to do instead of the user?

I forsee in the future that we end up more and more with desktop environments that doens't suit the needs of the end-user. I think the end of Gnome is near, and when Gnome goes down it drags Canonical's Unity with it.

I sincerly hope that Cinnamon will run better and smoother on Ubuntu, i really do.

Beans

This is going to be shorter than usual for me. I tried Ubuntu Unity, Cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, and Enlightenment E17 desktop environments and I have to say that they all cater to slightly different users with specific needs. Ubuntu Unity is the dumbed down version of Ubuntu made for the masses. It is supposed to look and feel like Apple Macintosh OS X. I don't agree with the future direction that Canonical is taking Unity, but I have to give them credit for their efforts. So far, it has driven more people away from Ubuntu than drawn them to it. Cinnamon is very nice. It's an old fashioned DE, but it is under heavy development. Things do break and it isn't pretty to discover why or how to solve it. Right now, Cinnamon 1.6.0 is not working for me and I can't use it. GNOME is good, but the need to use hot corners and the annoying system notifications alerts irk me. It takes me more time to scroll through my list of installed software applications than using GNOME itself. KDE is almost just right. I found that it makes the least worst compromises of them all, but the KWallet and screen blanking problems are annoying. They force me to suspend my System76 PC and resume it from suspension all of the time. Enlightenment is a little too plain. It is not intuitive and there is a lot of mouse clicking and scrolling needed to use it. I rarely use it anymore.

None of them are perfect. However, I found that using Ubuntu Unity is the best compromise so far because it is tested to work with almost everything. It is not that pretty and it's rather constrained and limited, but it works if you believe that Canonical is taking the necessary steps to increase the number of Ubuntu powered PCs shipped worldwide in the next two years.

There you have it.
    Have you tested Pantheon/Gala yet? Nice, fast and stable even if its features are admittedly OSX simple and not bleeding edge like so many Linux desktop environments are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast