Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Distro do you recommend for windows user?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What Distro do you recommend for windows user?

I have a problem.
    I used to recommend Ubuntu to anyone, who was frustrated with windows.

Now I don't know what to recommend.
    I don't like unity, so I cant recommend it to anyone.
    Personally I use xubuntu, but it has some problems, which is why I wouldn't recommend it to a new user.

So. what should I recommend? Any ideas.

Zorin comes to mind, but I have never tried it. (will try it soon)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: What Distro do you recommend for windows user?

Not sure what problems you are having with Xubuntu but I have used it without issue for ages, exclusively since 10.04 and on and off and with xfce on Ubuntu beyond that.

Perhaps you should post and fix your issues, get your machine humming, then you will feel more confident about setting up an Xubuntu machine for a new user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Zorin OS and SolusOS are both good alternatives for new users if you feel Ubuntu is not right for them.

Beans

Mint is the easiest for a newbie to linux who is used to Windows, looks familliar and most of the setup has been done. Probably not the debian version as it rolls so they'll have to do things to it sometimes.

If they don't mind doing a few things at the begining for low maintainence Mepris is good as it is based on debian stable and only uses the last KDE they think is bug free. Configuring KDE is easy and it can be made to look and behave like anything, gnome2 or windows if they want. Other gui's are in the repros anyway. The duel password system is differant to sudo but windows has something similar so it won't be a new concept. If that's not too much, once set up that's usually it, bar updating, hardly ever need to get techy again. Not bleeding edge but works, huge repository, and changes only very very slowly. Still uses synaptic which would be new to a windows user but fairly straighforward, they'll have to learn some sort of package management system whatever linux they use, synaptic is many peoples favorite gui installer anyway, me included.
    Almost stable debian on a plate, the setting up has been done.

There are quite a few which are good for first timers, often something like debian or ubuntu based but with bits done already. The most important thing for newbies, after the first wow, is probably stability, a system which just works. Having to dive into the command line to mend something in week one is a real turn-off. It also helps if the song remains the same for a while, meaning whatever is learned continues to be valid for a long time. One wants to drive around a bit before being forced into engineering.

If they happen to like any of the Ubuntu GUI's after testing live, the Ubuntu lts or something based on it, is still a good choice after it's settled in ( .1 or later ) , five years is better than three. Steer them away from the intermediate one's unless they are embrionic geeks though, six months is never enough to get them issue free enough for application users who just want a working machine and dramatic changes are the bill of fare.
    Last edited by houseworkshy; October 11th, 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Beans

What about Kubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Zorin does have possibilities and like you I have not tried the new release. Its now based on 12o4 and I have read some good reviews. I haven't read anything on the lite version. Need to find a diehard XP'er for a lab rat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Zorin
    Linux Mint

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    So. what should I recommend? Any ideas.
    I wouldn't recommend any distro to people who are frustrated with Windows unless I'm willing to guide them for quite some days.

If someone is frustrated with Windows, the reasons could be several given that both XP and Win 7 are pretty decent.

And it would be interesting to know what problems Xubuntu has that other distros don't.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

debian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast