Thread: how to install vmware on ubuntu 12.04

Beans

how to install vmware on ubuntu 12.04

hi
    plz guide in detail how can i install vmware on my laptop-ubuntu 12.04..
    which vmware version is recomended for it.
    can sum1 provide link to donwload vmware source
    and installation guide/steps to follow for installation
    PLZ GUIDE IN DETAIL AS I M TOTALLY NEW TO LINUX AND DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT VMWARE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: how to install vmware on ubuntu 12.04

Maybe this tutorial can help you get started....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For a noob I would recommend VirtualBox over VMware in Ubuntu. It's available in the Ubuntu software centre, just search for it and click install.

We can literally write a book on VM's so it's not really viable to give you a detailed guide on VM's, how they work and how to set them up. I would recommend you look at the VirtualBox wiki, particularly the end user docs (link below) that should get you started.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

However, if you have a specific requirement please let us know and I'm sure we will be able to help somehow. Asking wild blanket questions on how to use something like VM's isn't really viable though. We need specifics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Refugegeek....just want to say....nice pic....I love the coffee cup!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ha ha thanks daslinkard

Beans

thanks alot jinglaing for to the point guidance..... i have got it installed from software centre....
    the only query still left is why it was saying when i was trying to download/install that::::
    The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources.............
    although when i tried a couple of times,, and clicked repair button,,, it allowed me to install....
    secondly , my requirement was just to learn using vmware know how initially and then i want to install different OS onto for learning, like RHEL, and Windows.... still i dont know if i m messing up here by adding my questions or should i generate a new thread for this...since i have no idea on next how to install e.g red hat linux on it,,, where from to get source for that,, etc etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, before you can install an OS, you must first create a machine in Virtualbox to run it on.

If you click the "New" button, it will run a wizard for setting up the machine. At the second step, you have to input the name and OS type. Beyond that, the defaults will probably suffice. Before running the new machine, though, you will probably want to click the settings on the right side of the main window and adjust the RAM, graphics memory, CPU, etc. (The defaults are rather meager for modern OSes.)

When you first run the machine, it will ask for install media, and by default it will select your host machine's CD drive (assuming you have one). Alternatively, you may simply choose a .iso file you have on the HD.

Beyond that, it should be pretty much the same as installing on a real machine.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

By the way, Red Hat is an enterprise OS. You have to register (and maybe even pay...) to download it.

The non-enterprise version would be Fedora.
    http://fedoraproject.org/
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Virtualisation.

Beans

How long does the process usually take when you create a new virtual machine? I have been stuck at 0% for around a half an hour when creating a windows 8 device.