Thread: how to know if my system is 32 bit or 64 bit

Beans

how to know if my system is 32 bit or 64 bit

1. how to know if i have installed 32bit ubuntu on my system or 64bit
    2. how to know if my pc architechture is 32 bit or 64 bit.... does it depends on architecture of pc , if it is 32 bit , i have to install 32 bit operating system, and if it is 64 bit, i have to install 64 bit operating system
    3. what diference does 32 bit and 64 bit architecture and operating system???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how to know if my system is 32 bit or 64 bit

32- vs. 64- bit architecture is a feature of the OS, not the hardware. However, based on what hardware you have, one will probably run better than the other. If the machine came with Windows pre-installed, a good rule of thumb is to mimic the architecture used by Windows.

To see which architecture is being used in Ubuntu, go to the "Details" section of "System Settings".
    Last edited by newb85; September 29th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

post the output of 1 & 2 here.

1. uname -a
    2. lscpu
    3. See links below,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2037106
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2062435

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    32- vs. 64- bit architecture is a feature of the OS, not the hardware.
    Not sure what you mean by this... There is 64-bit hardware and there is 32-bit hardware. Some processors are 64-bit processors, for example, while some aren't.

To answer the OP, you can tell whether the processor in your machine is 64-bit by typing (at the terminal):
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags
    If you see 'lm' (for long mode) in the list of flags, then your processor is 64-bit.

However, based on what hardware you have, one will probably run better than the other.
    A 32-bit processor simply cannot run a 64-bit operating system, so if you have a 32-bit processor, you must run a 32-bit (or lower, but that shouldn't really be considered an option) OS.

On the other hand, if you have 64-bit hardware, you can run either a 32-bit OS or a 64-bit OS. The 64-bit OS will probably give better performance, and it is definitely the best option if you have 4+ GB of RAM.

To see which architecture is being used, go to the "Details" section of "System Settings".
    If you're interested in knowing, you can also do this at the terminal by typing:
    Code:
    uname -m
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

thnx alll and specially jrog - for such a detailed and nice reply.... i have got it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by syednasirraza View Post
    thnx alll and specially jrog - for such a detailed and nice reply.... i have got it
    Great, and no problem! If you get the chance, please mark the thread as "solved" using the Thread Tools at the top of the page.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition