Thread: To upgrade or not upgrade?

Beans

To upgrade or not upgrade?

Hi All

I have a nice stable Mythbuntu setup using Mythbuntu 10.04. Everything works just fine.

I am in two minds about upgrading to 12.04. Part of me thinks that it's always good to keep reasonably up to date, and now that there's a new (well, OK, not quite so new any more!) LTS version perhaps it's time to upgrade.

But another part of me thinks: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Any thoughts? Are there any significant benefits to upgrading?

Thanks
    NM

Beans

Re: To upgrade or not upgrade?

Unity It's beatiful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think your choice may be between upgrading now or later, since 10.04 LTS will be eventually not updated any longer you will need to upgrade at some point. But you don't really need to now. If it still works , only thing may be security needs in the future.

I moved to 12.04 because my machine liked it and it's been golden for me. but some have had problems. When you do decide to upgrade.
    my advice is to back up everything important to you and do a clean install not the upgrade from 10.04. to 12.04. Just my 2 cents worth but many seem to encounter problems with the upgrade, that don't seem to show up with the clean install.
    Cheers which ever way you choose. good luck
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 /Xubuntu 14.04.1

Beans
    Hidden!

if it ain't broke, don't fix it

I think applies in this case. Im not looking it up, but myth should be supported to April of next year. Give them a chance to work on it some more Or if your like me and just got to have it anyhow, load it into a vBox.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I agree with you both way, if it ain't broke why fix it? As well as you would like to get anything new, perhaps like Unity. Frankly I do not use Unity (reminds me of metro i/f) and some have had problems going to 12.04. I think overall I like 12.04 better, but that's MHO. Have you considered just downloading and booting it up to give it a spin first? Perhaps something might catch your eye. Then you could possibly create a second Linux system, get it stable until you are ready to switch over. This is why I keep my /home dir on a separately mountable partition, its easy if you do something like this. Just some ramblings you might want to consider...
    from nowhere, and yes it hurts
    ASUS M3A32MVP wifi, Thermalake BigO2/760i
    AMD Phenom 9850 (black) Quad 3.2GHz, full SSD
    4GB RAM, 4TB, APC, in Thermaltake Level 10 GT ATX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Speransky View Post
    Unity It's beatiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by doktorOblivion View Post
    I agree with you both way, if it ain't broke why fix it? As well as you would like to get anything new, perhaps like Unity. Frankly I do not use Unity (reminds me of metro i/f) and some have had problems going to 12.04. I think overall I like 12.04 better, but that's MHO. Have you considered just downloading and booting it up to give it a spin first? Perhaps something might catch your eye. Then you could possibly create a second Linux system, get it stable until you are ready to switch over. This is why I keep my /home dir on a separately mountable partition, its easy if you do something like this. Just some ramblings you might want to consider...
    Please check the forum that you are replying to when you just search for "recent posts". Mythbuntu doesn't ship Unity, so it has absolutely no relevance on this conversation.

To the OP, if it's all working, then stick with it. You won't need to move to 12.04 unless you want to get 0.26 (we're trying to build 0.26 for 10.04, but it's being a serious pain)
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just some thoughts on upgrading to 12.04 Precise Pangolin:

Ubuntu upgrades usually work fine. Don't listen to people who insist it's better to do a fresh install. Make backups, YES, but give the upgrade a go. Fresh installs can be very time consuming. I've been forced to do two in one year... they eat up time better used for living.

12.04 is not as stable as 10.04 as far as I can tell. Several times I've had messages to the effect that "Ubuntu 12.04 has encountered an internal error" together with a request to report the error. I allow the error to be reported, but as yet have not noticed any problems as such. Typically I will have a couple of console apps running, a web browser, evolution e-mail and a remote desktop. Nothing seems to go wrong except for one time when the browser crashed.

I'm not really sure what Mythbuntu is and maybe the release is more stable than for the stock standard Ubuntu but I suspect not... the kernel's the same after all. If you're happy with what you've got and aren't forced into making the change, my advice is to wait a few more months.

But that's just my opinion

Achim

Beans

Many thanks for those thoughts, everyone. Sounds like there's no compelling reason to upgrade just yet (while Unity is indeed cool, it's not really relevant to Mythbuntu), so I'm going to go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy for the time being.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NautiusMaximus View Post
    Hi All
    I am in two minds about upgrading to 12.04. Part of me thinks that it's always good to keep reasonably up to date, and now that there's a new (well, OK, not quite so new any more!) LTS version perhaps it's time to upgrade.
    I upgraded when the LTS version first became available. The upgrade went smoothly enough and everything did work OK except the audio/ sound. It's always the audio with linux. There was also a version conflict with mysql after the update. It took a bit of googling to find the cure.

The video display has the stutters that I didn't have with previous versions. I have been unable to solve that. It's probably due to me being too stupid to be using linux. I never did complete the degree in obfuscation. Sorry, I digress...

... and I never take heed heed of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" fanboise. If I wanted a stable no brainer HTPC without any fiddling about and tweaking I'd have a Topfield or something similar.

Cheers
    Last edited by GuiGuy; October 6th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by achim_59 View Post
    Ubuntu upgrades usually work fine. Don't listen to people who insist it's better to do a fresh install. Make backups, YES, but give the upgrade a go.
    ... and upgrades are more convenient. I have moved my desktop to Linux Mint because I don't like any of the Ubuntu Desktop GUI offerings, especially (IMO) the frustrating Unity. Linux Mint advocates their backup strategy with a reformat, fresh install and restore. As I learnt to my distress this is only good if the backup actually works. Thankfully I always use a new HDD when I do these sort of things.

Cheers
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.