Thread: Can one upgrade ubuntu with option to upgrade some programs later?

Beans

Can one upgrade ubuntu with option to upgrade some programs later?

I recently upgraded from lucid to pangolin (LTS) and by default lots of programs (like latex which were installed from repository by me earlier) were automatically upgraded. This resulted in a time-consuming procedure. Also the resulting desktop is not what I like (this uses unity and has fixed position of launcher, to the left of terminal which is a distraction for user like me). I upgraded using the system upgrade option (which appears in separate window) in lucid. I want to know if there is any method to upgrade from old to current LTS version where one can decide what desktop to upgrade, which programs to upgrade right now, leaving some programs for future, etc. Please indicate so that I can this information for use later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can one upgrade ubuntu with option to upgrade some programs later?

The fastest option is to make a fresh install ( If you have separate home and root). Keep in mind that some older programs which are working in 10.04, are NOT working in 12.04 (so it's necessary to upgrade).

I hope someone will be able to answer to your question.

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL