Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radeon 4xxx chips no longer supported by ATI. Let's start a petition.

Beans

Re: Radeon 4xxx chips no longer supported by ATI. Let's start a petition.

I suspect he's talking about performance, EgoGratis, rather than support for individual cards.
    I see in areas where FOSS driver does better job it's not important we should only limit ourselves to situation where blob supposedly does something better and performance is or should be the only one variable in the game? AFAIK majority of desktop users couldn't care less about little bit more or less performance they just want their desktop to work and FOSS drivers does generally speaking better job at this and blobs will probably lag behind for foreseeable future.

What i am trying to say is yes anybody can make a difference and no giving some vague statements how blobs are superior in all aspect and FOSS drivers are always catching up is plain wrong.

Beans

And i doubt if AMD would change their mind and offer the blob again for this cards that they would put much effort in performance area. They would probably just make it compatible with never Xorg server every once in a while. I doubt they would do much bug fixing too...

In the end it would probably end up in a way some users would install the blob "just because" they probably heard somewhere blob is "always better" and FOSS driver "is always catching up" ...
    Last edited by EgoGratis; May 4th, 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Beans

Performance is one aspect of it. The majority of desktop users who you say care less about 3d performance probably don't even own any new hardware. There is no point in buying new hardware with faster and more powerful performance and feature set if you can't leverage it to it's full potential and are stuck with 'barely getting by' community managed drivers. If I buy hardware, I expect support for at least a reasonable number of years, not to have the company selling the product today through licensed motherboard vendors, and in just two years or even three years make it impossible for you to use recent software. Some users do need the 'blob' to avoid issues with power management, overheating, even if you are willing to stick with lower performance. I tend to be a free software purist where I can be, but in the current situation, the foss drivers are not optimal for all users. I have had overheating issues and lots of rendering latency on the free driver, so I cannot use KDE, I cannot use Unity, Gnome runs but there are issues. AMD's policy is not very good or convenient for Linux platform. I have made up my mind to avoid any graphics products from them in the future. CPU-wise, AMD is still bang-for-buck. Intel is too costly for same amount of beef.

Beans

'barely getting by' community managed drivers
    If I buy hardware, I expect support for at least a reasonable number of years, not to have the company selling the product today through licensed motherboard vendors, and in just two years or even three years make it impossible for you to use recent software.
    You do know that AMD officially supports FOSS driver and the only "community managed " driver on the desktop is nouveau? Therefore you can still say you have official support from AMD.

I tend to be a free software purist where I can be, but in the current situation, the foss drivers are not optimal for all users. I have had overheating issues and lots of rendering latency on the free driver, so I cannot use KDE, I cannot use Unity, Gnome runs but there are issues. AMD's policy is not very good or convenient for Linux platform. I have made up my mind to avoid any graphics products from them in the future. CPU-wise, AMD is still bang-for-buck. Intel is too costly for same amount of beef.
    Let's be honest and say currently AMD is just not the best company when it comes to drivers and it has less to do with blobs vs. FOSS. But i will say it again if you want to make any (small) difference in foreseeable future for your hardware your best bet is FOSS driver and not the blob.

Beans

Maybe AMD should drop blobs for more GPUs and focus more on FOSS driver. Like Intel for example where things are great.

Then stuff like improving power management and performance increase would happen sooner. Think again what campaign you would really want to be running...

Beans

I have had horrible results with AMD drivers.

Point: I'm glad they dropped it, cause they'd probably screw it up eventually. Leaving it to the community was a better idea, as new series' start to come in.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Yes actually i agree and i do believe FOSS driver from AMD has much better chance to become something that works OK and users like to use. I don't think the blob will be there anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see what happens after Intel next gen GPUs that will supposedly be from 2 to 3 times faster than current generation ones and will have great FOSS driver right from the start. I think AMD should follow this road if they want to stay competitive because their blob will be much less attractive compared to Intel and if Intel GPUs will allow playing games on Steam in good quality...
    Last edited by EgoGratis; May 4th, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Beans

I don't exactly think this thread is getting anywhere, it was resurrected from September.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

I agree. But at least now we and especially OP are aware OP already has what he wants/needs.

And that in the end is something. We made a difference in at least the awareness!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I still have an HD 2600 lying around somewhere. I still think of the 4xxx series as being new.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast