Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon 4xxx chips no longer supported by ATI. Let's start a petition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Radeon 4xxx chips no longer supported by ATI. Let's start a petition.

For the record, especially for users running newer kernels (I suppose starting from 3.3 and above), AMD's drivers break a lot to the point you have to use updated drivers from AMD's own site and not from repositories, if you still want to run the newer kernel AND not break the current AMD driver in your machine. And by "breaking" I'm saying that DKMS has troubles building the driver modules for these newer kernels (and I've been having this kind of problem a lot).

Sure, this is no problem if you stick to the stock kernels supplied by Ubuntu's repositories, but in the long run, this will pose a problem especially as kernel versions get one step higher.

For me, not only the OSS drivers aren't fast enough (though I never bothered to run anything past desktop composition and effects), they cause increased operating temperatures for the GPU (+ ~10°C in my case) and I can't accept that running in my system.

But then again, I'm neither against nor am I for any kind of petition. Jokingly speaking, we should already be able to know that this is one of the hints a hardware maker is giving users to start upgrading their hardware (much to our own chagrin and against our protest of not wanting to). While they might hear it's still up to them to decide.

Beans
    Hidden!

Let's Riot!
    That's what she said.

Beans

I totally agree! I have X1950 XT card, and it is enough for me. Why shouldn't I be able to use it with the newest Xorg with fglrx? Currently I use open source radeon driver.

I think petition is an awesome idea.

Beans

And this should be another reason not to buy AMD/ATI. They don't support their cards for very long. The HD 4xxx cards came out in 2008, nVidia still supports their GeForce 6 series cards that came out in 2004!!!

Beans

The petition thing was actually a joke. I doubt that would actually have any effect. The Radeon IGPs were actively sold on mainstream boards in March 2012, I used mine to play Source games. The discrete cards in the series are still powerful enough to run just about any modern games at high settings. Hardware that actively sold just a couple years back. They just declare it legacy and refuse to at the very least update it to newer X versions. What point is there then in buying AMD when you get driver support for such a short time. My next machine will be an Intel when I buy it in a few years.

Beans

If you want to make a difference report bugs and do campaigns for the FOSS driver because improved FOSS driver is what you really need for this hardware and don't say you cant make a difference sure you can!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    The petition thing was actually a joke. I doubt that would actually have any effect.
    I agree, won't get you anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    If you want to make a difference report bugs and do campaigns for the FOSS driver because improved FOSS driver is what you really need for this hardware and don't say you cant make a difference sure you can!
    For the foreseeable future I don't see any open source drivers catching up to the proprietary ones, they will always lag behind.

Beans

For the foreseeable future I don't see any open source drivers catching up to the proprietary ones, they will always lag behind.
    Wait a second where exactly does FOSS "Radeon 4xxx chips driver" lag behind the blob? You got it wrong didn't you it's the other way around this time. And i don't see the blob catching up in foreseeable future. And yes basically everybody can make a difference when it comes to FOSS don't set some artificial barriers that don't exist.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; May 3rd, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I suspect he's talking about performance, EgoGratis, rather than support for individual cards.

Beans

I don't see why people dislike NVIDIA, they have great Linux support, even though debates are everywhere. Nouveau is great. AMD/ATI cards have never been my choice, because I tried installing Ubuntu on an ATI system, and ended up with graphic errors. I tried everything, but I gave up, and stuck with NVIDIA from then on.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast