Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon 4xxx chips no longer supported by ATI. Let's start a petition.

Beans

Radeon 4xxx chips no longer supported by ATI. Let's start a petition.

People, the open source driver is not fast enough. So all of those of us who have these 4xxx chips are left hanging without fglrx since ATI has dropped support for them. I made a big mistake getting a board with a radeon chip. Sick. I hope someone starts a petition. What say you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Radeon 4xxx chips no longer supported by ATI. Let's start a petition.

can't you just use the old drivers?
    if new xorg is an issue, why must you use the newest of the new software with legacy hardware?

so far I know 12.04 still has support for the cards, that gives you 5 years to update your hardware or to improve the open source drivers to your liking.
    Last edited by MadCow108; September 29th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadCow108 View Post
    can't you just use the old drivers?
    if new xorg is an issue, why must you use the newest of the new software with legacy hardware?

so far I know 12.04 still has support for the cards, that gives you 5 years to update your hardware or to improve the open source drivers to your liking.
    I own a 4250 and this is not supposed to be legacy hardware. ATi still supports it in Windows 8, but they have dropped "Linux" support much to our chagrin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    People, the open source driver is not fast enough. So all of those of us who have these 4xxx chips are left hanging without fglrx since ATI has dropped support for them. I made a big mistake getting a board with a radeon chip. Sick. I hope someone starts a petition. What say you.
    Petition? Complete, utter, total, consummate, perfect, absolute waste of time. They want your money, not your petitions. Get enough Linux users together, donating $10,000 each, and then maybe you will get their attention.

It's tempting to write that if you want want speedy, reliable, supported and long term high end graphics performance in Linux, use Windows; but my understanding is that both AMD and NVIDIA do offer proprietary drivers in Linux with good performance (for how long and how it measures up to Windows or Apple is the question).

Personally, I think the Linux world would be far better served making the switch to Wayland (rather than petitioning graphics companies).
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Personally, I think the Linux world would be far better served making the switch to Wayland (rather than petitioning graphics companies).
    It's coming and will eventually happen but the opensource drivers still don't deliver the same level of performance yet. I reckon another 1-3 yrs and we will all be using wayland & opensource drivers.

I think I should go and try the nouveau drivers again just to see how they fare....

Beans

Petitions don't do anything since a petition isn't much more than someone complaining on a message board. AMD implemented this short 3-year life cycle because they want you to continually buy their newest cards. If you want decent support for open-source graphic drivers, Intel is your best bet at this point.

That said, you can still use the Catalyst driver in the repositories for 12.04. The default one won't change for the life cycle of Precise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    It's coming and will eventually happen but the opensource drivers still don't deliver the same level of performance yet. I reckon another 1-3 yrs and we will all be using wayland & opensource drivers.

I think I should go and try the nouveau drivers again just to see how they fare....
    Just noticed that a new Wayland CD, using Ubuntu 12.10, was released in August.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Just noticed that a new Wayland CD, using Ubuntu 12.10, was released in August.
    Will open source drivers on Wayland perform better than on X? What about performance of Gnome Shell. And 3d games?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Will open source drivers on Wayland perform better than on X? What about performance of Gnome Shell. And 3d games?
    Okay, answering this question is *way* above my pay grade, but my understanding is that, yes, open source drivers will perform better on Wayland, but closed source drivers will not (and will not work at all). In theory though, any new closed source drivers should work better with Wayland.

Here are three useful links:

WIkipedia
    Jeff Hoogland
    Why is Wayland Better

Beans

My logic says not really seeing they both still use the same underlying driver. X probably has more layers to it which would make it slightly slower but I don't see the actual drivers improving in performance between the two.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast