Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I think you severely underestimate the complications that would cause.
    Yeah you are right, it's more an idea from my perspective, I know it would be a complicated process and involve a lot of resources.
    It just makes me sad to see that every time Unity has needs, we, the Gnome fans, have to settle for a less favorable solution.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    We have another, more serious issue with Ubuntu 12.10 now, and concerning Unity.

The latest libunity9 package (6.8.0-0ubuntu1) depends on unity-common now.

This is due to the fact that Unity may crash if unity-common is not installed.

OK, but what happens now:
    If we, who use ununtu-gnome-remix, and perhaps do not use unity at all, now upgrade to the libunity_6.8.0, we get unity-common and compiz with all its dependencies installed too.
    This is because unity-common depends on compiz-gnome

And compiz-gnome in turn depends on a number of compiz related stuff.

The main issues here is that ubuntu-gnome-remix uses Nautilus, that is built against libunity9 and it depends on it.
    If that dependency would be lowered to recommends or suggests, there would not be any issues, because users who would have only Gnome-shell DE installed could then remove libunity9.

So where can I find nautilus, that does not depend on libunity9?
    Gnome3 PPA perhaps?
    How about that Jeremy?
    Phew the developers worked fast to fix this one
    Quoted from the changelog:
    Changelog
    libunity (6.8.0-0ubuntu2) quantal; urgency=low

[ Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak ]
    * Cherry-picked from upstream.
    - libunity9 now depends on unity-common which depends on compiz
    (LP: #1062099)
    - Build failure: be tolerant of missing GSettings (LP: #973518 )
    * debian/control:
    - Remove dependency to unity-common, as now we're more fault-tolerant
    about missing schemas

[ Didier Roche ]
    * debian/control:
    - Actually, downgrade it rather to suggests.
    -- Didier Roche <didrocks@ubuntu.com> Fri, 05 Oct 2012 15:49:08 +0200
    You can now upgrade safely again
    Thanks to the developers for fixing this so quickly.

Beans

Hi guys,

Thanks to all involved in making this remix - finally answered my search for the right distro for me.

I'm going to hop onto IRC sooner or later and get involved in helping out if I can.

For now a quick question - I selected auto-login during the initial setup and now it won't turn off. Logging out just logs me back in straight away.

I know its a known issue on the Wiki page - but I can't seem to turn off autologin - it says off, but it still automatically logs me in anyway.

Thanks
    DM
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; October 6th, 2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Read Q&A

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouseUK View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks to all involved in making this remix - finally answered my search for the right distro for me.

I'm going to hop onto IRC sooner or later and get involved in helping out if I can.

For now a quick question - I selected auto-login during the initial setup and now it won't turn off. Logging out just logs me back in straight away.

I know its a known issue on the Wiki page - but I can't seem to turn off autologin - it says off, but it still automatically logs me in anyway.

Thanks
    DM
    Have a browse here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064778

I really should file bugs I guess

Beans

Heh - it's cool bro Gonna go and edit the config files now and see if I can get my login screen back

Beans

Hi, I'm on the beta and have a problem where, in Brightness and Lock, I've set Turn off screen to Never and Lock to Off, and in Power Settings, I've set Suspend to 'Don't Suspend'. But when there's inactivity, monitor goes to standby mode still after 15 minutes, so the settings don't seem to be working. How do I fix this?

Beans

Just thought I'd add a couple of links to the gdm related problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12282492

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1063267

Basically with the version of gdm in Ricotz staging, along with all packages from Ricotz testing/staging and the Gnome 3 PPA, gdm now obeys the settings applied in System Settings.

But log out still does NOT work if you have auto-login set

Sorry I can't be of more help, my abilities are just limited ATM

Beans

Hey bro, I purged the ricotz PPA's and now it all seems to be working which is strange - I didn't even edit anything. Just thought I'd do a cleanup before editing.

Weird ! All I did was purge the staging and testing PPAs and it replaced the packages and hey presto - all working

I also purged them because changing brightness on my laptop caused the window manager to crash with the staging and testing PPAs should really file some bugs on that one.

Beans

Another problem: Starting Gnome tweak tool from terminal, if I use the automatic install for shell themes, it says installed successfully and lists the new theme but the theme doesn't work. Manually installing the archive to /home/.themes works though, but the tweak tool installer is broken.

Also there seems to be a problem with rhythmbox, if I maximize it and then double click the title bar to restore it, it won't restore, then i have to drag the titlebar down to restore it but the window size stays the same as in maximized state. This happens a lot for me.
    Last edited by DisappearingOak; October 8th, 2012 at 09:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

OK, we just got another goodie, Epiphany/Web just got updated to 3.6.0 (webkit 1.10.0), please give it a spin
    Ubuntu now has the most complete and stable Gnome 3.6 AFAIK, great
    Thanks to Jeremy and all other developers involved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast