Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Beans

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    So what is the difference between using Gnome Remix, and using a standard Ubuntu install plus the gnome 3 ppa + installing gnome-shell?
    Presumably you would then still have the ubuntu/unity stuff and defaults. The gnome stuff would be an addition to rather than instead of.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Clocks is not considered to be part of GNOME 3.6; On the other hand, it's a small package so we can take it or leave it. What do you think?
    Clocks is more of an alpha/preview release this cycle, just like boxes were last time. Thats the reason it is not officially considered to be part of this cycle.

At the same time, it is interesting in its own right. The world clocks is awesome. You add the cities, and just open it in those 'what time is it in there' moments. This is very handy, especially if you are interacting with an international team etc. Also, with usual alarm, stopwatch, and timer, it is a nice utility to have. Currently, there are no other applications that provides these services. And the application isn't really alpha quality. So, we could include that by default, if no space constraints.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    Presumably you would then still have the ubuntu/unity stuff and defaults. The gnome stuff would be an addition to rather than instead of.
    Of course I realise that gnome remix has the disadvantage that I don't have the option to log out of gnome shell to try out unity. But I was asking what the advantage of gnome remix is compared to standard ubuntu install + add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 + apt-get install gnome-shell.

Seriously, why does gnome remix exist? What does it give us ubuntu gnome-shell users over a standard ubuntu install?

Beans

Of course I realise that gnome remix has the disadvantage that I don't have the option to log out of gnome shell to try out unity. But I was asking what the advantage of gnome remix is compared to standard ubuntu install + add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 + apt-get install gnome-shell.

Seriously, why does gnome remix exist? What does it give us ubuntu gnome-shell users over a standard ubuntu install?
    If you already have regular ubuntu them maybe there isn't a lot of point and you can get pretty much the same results yourself, as you said.

I think it is more aimed as an alternative as an installation.
    For example, you could easily turn an ubuntu install into kubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu etc but if you prefer lxde or kde to unity, you aren't likely to install regular ubuntu to then start installing kde etc, you would just install the ubuntu flavour that suits?

It's the same with ubuntu gnome. If you want gnome rather than unity, what's the point of installing ubuntu+ unity to then install gnome afterwards if you can just install ubuntu+gnome from the start?

Remember that when gnome remix is a final release, it will be in line with all the other 12.10 releases so just gives users that other option.

I for one, will be installing gnome remix without a doubt so I am grateful for the work being done here, if I do indeed go for ubuntu.
    Last edited by x-shaney-x; October 4th, 2012 at 01:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Ubuntu GNOME Remix doesn't include the GNOME3 PPA by default so you don't need that.

To get the same result, you could install ubuntu-gnome-desktop and uninstall ubuntu-settings and ubuntu-artwork (as that includes Ubuntu-specific overrides such as having Nautilus handle the desktop, and theme stuff). Make sure to set gdm as default instead of lightdm.

Why does Kubuntu exist? Why does Lubuntu?

Additional advantages of the Ubuntu GNOME Remix:

• The GNOME experience is more pure than it was in 12.04 LTS and I believe it will even better in 13.04.
    • Our work also makes it easier for other derivatives to choose the GNOME settings they wish to override without needing to patch a dozen packages.
    • I'm tired of hearing new GNOME contributors being told to use Fedora instead of Ubuntu, especially as generally I've found Ubuntu+1 to be more reliable than Rawhide. It's a bad thing if the majority of users are using a distro that developers aren't. For instance, I believe Boxes was broken during much of this cycle; if there were Boxes developers using Ubuntu, maybe it wouldn't have been.
    • If we become an official Ubuntu flavor, then we have at least a bit more influence with Ubuntu for our goal of shipping the latest GNOME as pure as possible.

Beans

Thanks for your response Jeremy. I appreciate your efforts.

I much prefer Ubuntu over RH/Fedora but happen to prefer GNOME shell over Unity so I am very glad you are striving to maintain gnome-shell/ubuntu compatibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gnome-control-center 3.6.0 and gnome-settings-daemon 3.6.0 could very well be uploaded to the GNOME3 PPA:
    - Ubuntu official repos still have the old 3.4.2
    - version 3.6.0 issues are with Unity, not with Gnome-shell
    - version 3.6.0 with Gnome Remix would then be more Gnome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Gnome-control-center 3.6.0 and gnome-settings-daemon 3.6.0 could very well be uploaded to the GNOME3 PPA:
    - Ubuntu official repos still have the old 3.4.2
    - version 3.6.0 issues are with Unity, not with Gnome-shell
    - version 3.6.0 with Gnome Remix would then be more Gnome.
    Just to add to that, I added the staging ppa (without the testing ppa) and control-center and settings-daemon (were upgraded and) works fine. All in support/vote for moving these to gnome3 ppa, if there are no other major issues (Jeremy already said he will get it into gnome3 ppa, but let's all force him to do it fast).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Mr.JJ
    Why are you so busy forcing Jeremy ? Just use the staging ppa if it's important to you.
    See if you can find a way to contribute instead.
    If you are a launchpad member you could make a bugreport instead and everyone who agrees with you can mark them selves as affected.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    @Mr.JJ
    Why are you so busy forcing Jeremy ?
    May be you dont understand the concept of community distros. The community, to a certain extend, has the power to 'influence' the decisions taken on community distros. If there are enough requests of a feature, chances are that it will get implemented.
    No one is forcing Jeremy in 'literal' sense (That was a light-heated end note. And I used the word vote, if you didn't notice). It is of course his discretion. At the same time he cannot guess or assume what the user/community needs. As users we should help him to understand the needs of the community. And forums are the best platform to do this (with discussions/opinions from diff. users etc.). I don't see any issues with that. And Jeremy for his part has always shown interest to know our preferences. I hope Jeremy will reply with his views on this.
    Just use the staging ppa if it's important to you.
    It is evident that you didn't read my comment. My comment is only two sentences and the first sentence clearly says I AM USING THE STAGING PPA.
    The purpose of a community distro is to reach common grounds on the community requirements. It is about what the community wants. Not 'you' or 'I' as individuals, but the majority. With your logic, there is no point for Ubuntu gnome remix itself. Let users add the repos and install the packages, done. But my view is, unless there are technical or other restrictions, there is no point in keeping features away from the community, especially if there is a need. And I have already explained why I don't feel confident in using the staging ppa for day to day work.
    If you are a launchpad member you could make a bugreport instead and everyone who agrees with you can mark them selves as affected.
    This is not a bug to begin with (I do have almost 12 issues raised in bugzilla against gnome 3.6 itself, please don't comment about things which you don't have any idea about.). The developers know about it and the decision is already made. It is just a matter of time, there is no point in raising a bug report. But if Jeremy wants it, I could do that, no probs.

You seem to be seriously limited on the language side (reading many of your responses). Many a time, you seem to get it all wrong about the intended tone or context of a particular comment etc. So, I leave your response as a mistake and ignorant than as purposeful.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast