Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Beans

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Quote Originally Posted by Fitoschido View Post
    That won't happen, GNOME is "redesigning" (read: dumbing-down) all these apps so expect less features :/
    If you hate gnome, just don't use it. And what are you doing on a gnome remix beta thread, anyway? May be this is not your 'more features added by the minute' desktop thread.

But if you are really interested to know how wonderful applications could be designed (and do not look like some pgmers, like me, spend an afternoon throwing all the widgets into a window with their eyes closed), go check the tentative design in this page: https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I'm currently filing bugs against the Gnome package manager 'packagekit', one of them is your issue too, you can add yourself to the bug or comment if you like
    Added a me too for the deb bug.

I did not yet get the new plymouth and grub themes. I wonder if it is added to the default repo or one of the ricotz repos. Anyone else do not see those changes, yet?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Kansasnoob,

Don't get me wrong, but what if one just install Gnome 3.6 using Synaptic? Once, you have everything you need installed in 12.10 and got rid of other apps you don't need, you could just go to Synaptic, reload it and install gnome-shell and synaptic would give you Gnome 3.6. Then log out and you'd find Gnome in the Unity-Greeter.

Believe me, I am not saying anything against your remix, but anyone, who has 12.10 (latest) could install Gnome-shell in the background while working on something else. Hope you don't mind my saying this.

Gnome-panel is there, so any one could install Gnome-Classic, Enlightenment is there too. Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu DEs are there too, KDE, LXDE, XFCE4 is there too. Cinnamon and Mate are not there, but if you include Mint repos, or Clem's repos, that too could be installed.

PS: I am not belittling/criticizing anyone. I saw what's there in the 12.10 repos.
    I know how to set up a classic DE, I even made these notes:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

But since Ubuntu dropped Unity-2D and Metacity in favor of Compiz + llvmpipe the aforementioned old VIA hardware is a total no-go with Ubuntu Quantal

Another out-of-box huge difference between using "ubuntu-desktop" and "ubuntu-gnome-desktop" is the default settings. Since this spin has no Unity and no Compiz it's much easier to get the intended pure Gnome experience.

This really is as close to pure gnome as one can get, right down to the choice of browsers and package managers, so I'd think it would be very useful for the gnome devs themselves also
    Last edited by kansasnoob; October 3rd, 2012 at 02:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If any of you guys and girls use Ubuntu-tweak, you'll be thrilled to hear that soon we'll have Ubuntu-tweak-Gnome without the compiz dependencies.
    I filed a bug against Ubuntu-tweak and got a very positive response
    Bug#1059067

Beans

Just wondering... it has been mentioned it is a *mostly* pure gnome experience.
    What compromises have been made that stop it being a completely gnome experience?
    Not so much individual apps but as a whole?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    What compromises have been made that stop it being a completely gnome experience?
    Not so much individual apps but as a whole?
    In the core side, the control center comes to mind. That is not updated to the 3.6 version and currently is a highly pached (by ubuntu) 3.4 version.
    Coming to the applications side, nautilus, totem, gstreamer etc. are old versions (you have to add gnome 3 ppa to get the new versions). Gnome documents, boxes and the new clock applications are not installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gnome Remix is using the same official repositories that also Ubuntu Desktop uses.
    Certain packages are not installed on the Gnome Remix setup (for example Unity DE) and some packages are not installed on the default Ubuntu Desktop (for example Gnome-shell DE).

However, vast majority of the packages are same and a number of them are specially Ubuntu patched packages.

Beans
    Distro

for anyone having corrupted graphics or no mouse using the live-session i found this wks:
    boot into a live session setup your wifi-network
    switch to virtual terminal (strg-alt-F2)
    enter

Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get upgrade ubiquity
    when its finished

Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    sudo service gdm start
    cheers BB

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    In the core side, the control center comes to mind. That is not updated to the 3.6 version and currently is a highly pached (by ubuntu) 3.4 version.
    Coming to the applications side, nautilus, totem, gstreamer etc. are old versions (you have to add gnome 3 ppa to get the new versions). Gnome documents, boxes and the new clock applications are not installed.
    The latest gstreamer is available in the regular Ubuntu repositories; it's just that no package in main will be using it until next cycle.

Clocks is not considered to be part of GNOME 3.6; I don't think Fedora 18 will include it by default. On the other hand, it's a small package so we can take it or leave it. What do you think? It's pretty lousy as an alarm clock as the "ringtone" isn't customizable and the app has to be running; they haven't built a system service yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Gnome Remix is using the same official repositories that also Ubuntu Desktop uses.
    Certain packages are not installed on the Gnome Remix setup (for example Unity DE) and some packages are not installed on the default Ubuntu Desktop (for example Gnome-shell DE).

However, vast majority of the packages are same and a number of them are specially Ubuntu patched packages.
    So what is the difference between using Gnome Remix, and using a standard Ubuntu install plus the gnome 3 ppa + installing gnome-shell?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast