Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released - printer install problem

So an update after using it for a day or so now. Overall I'm very impressed and like it quite a lot.

One thing that I think should really be included by default is the activity-log-center-control-center package which adds the "Privacy" section to System Settings allowing users to control logging on their systems. I'm also a fan of synaptic and don't understand why it was removed from the default packages.

One problem that I am having right now is regarding installing .deb files. While installing via the command line using dpkg works fine, double clicking ends with an "The action cannot be completed." and more details gives the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/defer/__init__.py", line 489, in _inline_callbacks
    result = gen.send(result)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sessioninstaller/core.py", line 669, in _install_package_files
    interaction, sender)
    TypeError: install_package_files() takes exactly 4 arguments (5 given)
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stoneguy View Post
    Installed in a VBox VM directly from ISO. Manual reboot no problems. Updated system to current, still OK.

Then went to add network printer. Got

FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.
    Hi
    Did you try the workaround from the Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix release notes ?

Network printer setup in System Settings does not work correctly:
    The default printer setup tool displays a message about FirewallD missing, if it can't find a printer, the recognition may or may not work after entering the IP manually. For network printers with integrated scanner the wrong network protocol may be chosen by default.
    Workaround: Start system-config-printer from the [Alt]+[F2] prompt and set up your printer. You have to do this only once.
    Or open terminal. Type, system-config-printer , press enter and then add printer.
    should give the same result '

I don't have a network printer to test with, so please report back.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyRose View Post
    One problem that I am having right now is regarding installing .deb files. While installing via the command line using dpkg works fine, double clicking ends with an "The action cannot be completed." and more details gives the following error:
    I'm currently filing bugs against the Gnome package manager 'packagekit', one of them is your issue too, you can add yourself to the bug or comment if you like:
    • Local deb package cannot be installed by double clicking it bug#1059600
    • I cannot re-install a package from packagekit bug#1059077
    • Cannot lock package version from packagekit bug#1059072
    • I cannot switch server from within package-kit bug#1059081

Anyone that would like packagekit to be as feature-full as synaptic please add yourselves to the above bugs and comment if you like

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Anyone that would like packagekit to be as feature-full as synaptic please add yourselves to the above bugs and comment if you like
    That won't happen, GNOME is "redesigning" (read: dumbing-down) all these apps so expect less features :/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Fitoschido View Post
    That won't happen, GNOME is "redesigning" (read: dumbing-down) all these apps so expect less features :/
    Well I could be sitting around with my thumb up my a.. but that won't happen either

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Or open terminal. Type, system-config-printer , press enter and then add printer.
    should give the same result
    That did the trick. Thx.
    /Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Very cool, but I cannot add a new imap account to Evolution.
    Dell Studio XPS 1640, 2.6 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM
    Multi-booting Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8, UBUNTU 12.04, UBUNTU Gnome Remix 12.10 Beta, and MINT 11

Beans

I really have to say ........... WOW!

I haven't been this impressed with anything new in a very long time

I'll grant you that I stumbled upon two problems with "gdm":

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064778

And I fumbled just a bit with a few configuration changes, but I find this "spin" of Gnome Shell quite usable - at least as much so as Unity - but I'm the most impressed with the Classic (no effects) session using plain old Metacity

I haven't bothered with running any actual benchmark testing but, from a pure usability standpoint, this is blazing fast on my old VIA hardware:

VIA C7 CPU @ 1500MHz
    VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)
    VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    Don't get me wrong. Either Lubuntu or Xubuntu also run well enough on that hardware, but I fell in love with Gnome during Ubuntu Gutsy

In fact 7.10 and 9.04 were my all time favorite Ubuntu's based on overall performance - this could easily become number three on the list

I'm still fiddling with theming but:

Screenshot from 2012-10-01 22:09:21.jpg

Not great but I've only started playing.

I just want to express my heartfelt thanks to Jeremy Bicha and everyone else involved for building this

Beans

Kansasnoob,

Don't get me wrong, but what if one just install Gnome 3.6 using Synaptic? Once, you have everything you need installed in 12.10 and got rid of other apps you don't need, you could just go to Synaptic, reload it and install gnome-shell and synaptic would give you Gnome 3.6. Then log out and you'd find Gnome in the Unity-Greeter.

Believe me, I am not saying anything against your remix, but anyone, who has 12.10 (latest) could install Gnome-shell in the background while working on something else. Hope you don't mind my saying this.

Gnome-panel is there, so any one could install Gnome-Classic, Enlightenment is there too. Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu DEs are there too, KDE, LXDE, XFCE4 is there too. Cinnamon and Mate are not there, but if you include Mint repos, or Clem's repos, that too could be installed.

PS: I am not belittling/criticizing anyone. I saw what's there in the 12.10 repos.

Beans

I'm having a problem with Gnome Remix where at boot, when the Plymouth is supposed to show, the monitor goes into standby mode until the display manager loads. So I'm not able to see the bootsplash.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast