Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Beans

Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Since a lot of the info in my original post is now outdated I felt it best to start a new thread related solely to Jeremy Bicha's Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta release which is explained in the release notes here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/...otes/12.10Beta

The MD5SUMS, package manifests, and standard download links can be found here:

http://bicha.net/ubuntu-gnome-remix/

Please do however use the torrents wherever possible to reduce the load on the servers

Please also consider subscribing to the mailing list:

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/

One of the projects greatest needs ATM is someone to fill the role of QA lead. In Jeremy's own words:

I'm still looking for a QA Lead. The QA Lead ideally should have
    plenty of in-depth knowledge and experience of Launchpad and
    development of Ubuntu and GNOME. I guess there's not a lot of people
    with that background with the interest of taking on this
    responsibility, but I'm still hopeful! In the meantime, I'll be
    taking on that role.
    More on the need for a QA team here:

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/msg00012.html

There is also an IRC channel for discussions regarding the development of Ubuntu GNOME Remix:

#ubuntu-gnome
    I hope I'm not leaving out any essential info
    Last edited by kansasnoob; September 29th, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released

Is the beta a hybrid ISO? The reason I ask is that no matter how I write the iso file (amd64) to my thumb drive it absolutely refuses to boot stating that there is no image to mount. It appears that it's looking for casper on a CD not a thumb drive or so says the path. My thumb drive is formatted to FAT32 (the tables are fine) and as a test I wrote and successfully booted both Ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 and Linux Mint Maya (both amd64 versions) via the same thumb drive.

I've used two different versions of Unetbootin (version available in 12.04 repositories as well as the latest version via PPA) as well as the USB Creator from a 12.10 beta 2 install (The USB Creator crashes constantly) to no avail. Is this a bug in the ISO or is a DVD only iso the only version available at the moment?
    "Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I used the Startup Disk Creator utility in Precise to create a usb drive, as the same app crashed in Quantal. Once done, it booted with with only the usual graphics problem.

Beans

I've just been using DVD's here so I'm clueless about creating a boot-able flash drive.

Beans
    Distro

I succesfully installed via a USB drive earlier today using the USB startup disk creator in precise as well.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I used the Startup Disk Creator utility in Precise to create a usb drive, as the same app crashed in Quantal. Once done, it booted with with only the usual graphics problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyRose View Post
    I succesfully installed via a USB drive earlier today using the USB startup disk creator in precise as well.
    GNObuntu page 21
    usb-creator-gtk crashed

Just to sum it all up.
    • The dd command it only creates an non boot-able ISO 9660 image
    • The usb-creator crashes when creating the boot sector ( when you are asked for a password last in the process) Bug#915626

There are two ways to create a bootable version of the beta.
    • Burn the iso to a DVD or
    • Boot into a livesession or installed version of Ubuntu / Ubuntu Gnome-Shell Remix 12.04 and use the usb-creator from there

There really should be more focus on having a working usb-creator as many users nowadays use bootable usb-pen's.

Beans

There really should be more focus on having a working usb-creator as many users nowadays use bootable usb-pen's.
    Agreed. I still use DVD's but more and more machines no longer even have optical drives

Beans
    Distro

@kansasnoob
    You can find the iso images at ftp.gnome.org too:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/misc/ubuntu-gnome-remix/

Hosted by:
    Academic Computer Club Umeĺ University

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

im using LiveUSB (multisystem) to directly load iso

http://translate.google.com/translat...info/dotclear/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix Beta released - printer install problem

Installed in a VBox VM directly from ISO. Manual reboot no problems. Updated system to current, still OK.

Then went to add network printer. Got

FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.

Same thing happens on quantal desktop if I try to set printers after installing gnome-panel and logging onto No Effects. Printer setup only works fron Unity.

I think there's a report in Launchpad for this, but looks like it's being ignored, since Unity is the official way of the future.

:
    /Guy

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast