Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me figure out the best distro for someone...

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help me figure out the best distro for someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Epodx64 View Post
    ...she surprisingly liked Ubuntu with Unity quite alot...
    Even though that hasn't been my experience, I'm glad to hear that. I'd like to see Unity be a success, especially with disillusioned Windows users.

Beans

both avira and avg have antivirus that can be installed to either thumb drive or disk . ive used both. The computer my wife has we got for 75 dollars because it was so loaded it wouldnt boot. after removing 225 virus and malware it worked fine.

I suggest Zorin 5.2 it has a windows look DE and is nice.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that she would like unity. It's simple design makes it easy for someone new to learn basic uses.
    It's radical enough to let someone know that the system they're on is not going to be like the system they're used to.
    I personally use unity, but I don't love it or hate it, I do ,however, find it to be the most interesting desktop interface.

Beans

I'm not doing to Windows clean up just to have it destroyed within days anymore (she's had her bank account info hijacked twice nonetheless) no matter what I do to lock down her system its so easily circumvented when you take no precautions as to what your doing so it's pretty much Linux or she can use the XP machine till its completely crippled which shouldn't be too long.
    Maybe it's time for Mom to go back to manual banking?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that she would like unity. It's simple design makes it easy for someone new to learn basic uses.
    It's radical enough to let someone know that the system they're on is not going to be like the system they're used to.
    I personally use unity, but I don't love it or hate it, I do ,however, find it to be the most interesting desktop interface.
    I agree.

Zorin looks a lot like XP, but only on the outside. I tried it, liked it a bit, found it boring.

But, going with ubuntu 12.04 might be the thing. New users won't have all the prejudice or bias of change-- 'this is going backwards!' With no experience of gnome 2, unity works just fine.
    Last edited by critin; September 29th, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Depending on the computer I'll vote for xubuntu. Or whatever distro you feel most comfortable setting up.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    I agree.

Zorin looks a lot like XP, but only on the outside. I tried it, liked it a bit, found it boring.

But, going with ubuntu 12.04 might be the thing. New users won't have all the prejudice or bias of change-- 'this is going backwards!' With no experience of gnome 2, unity works just fine.
    I think the one thing that really surprises me about unity, is that for all the complaints, no one has seriously forked the source code and completely redesigned the interface, adding all the bells and whistles they scream are needed(wanted). Unity-Rotate was about the only real effort in that regard. I don't code, I don't ever plan on coding, so I have no complaints(aside from just simply egregiously bad code; ie, blatantly obvious security holes) about how others who do, design their projects.

Beans
    Hidden!

...she surprisingly liked Ubuntu with Unity quite alot she hasn't committed to it but it was her favorite...
    Nice that you found something she likes. The launcher isn't that much different from having icons on the desktop for the programs you use all the time.

I would add what she uses and remove what she doesn't use on the launcher.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I think the one thing that really surprises me about unity, is that for all the complaints, no one has seriously forked the source code and completely redesigned the interface, adding all the bells and whistles they scream are needed(wanted).
    You might as well just create a whole new DE if you're going to do that.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

She's finally committed to changing to Ubuntu 12.04.1 Full time I'll get to do the install (yeaaah) tomorrow she can't get enough of Unity loves the Dash search feature and absolutely loves having Firefox LibreOffice etc... on the launcher loves the free software mostly the games like Frozen Bubble but what I'm most stoked about since i'll disable all the testing and backport repositories I'll run her down on how to update the system when It says too and how to move her favorites to the side launcher then finally I shouldn't have to work on that computer again for hopefully the next 3-5 years I've seriously spent countless hours repairing that same XP install with the same virus/malware Thank you Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Elfy; October 1st, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast