Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quantal update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Quantal update

Quote Originally Posted by SheamusPatt View Post
    It helped me, at least. I upgraded the 'ubuntuone-control-panel-qt' package in Synaptic, since it seemed to be an issue. Synaptic complained (after it started upgrading), but went ahead, and once it was done, software-manager could update without any 'partial upgrade' warnings.

Looks like ubuntuone-installer was the one with missing dependencies, if I recall correctly. Sorry, I meant to grab some of the log but lost it. Synaptic currently indicates that 'ubuntuone-control-panel-qt Breaks ubuntuone-installer'

Thanks.
    The only thing left is to mark ubuntuone-control-panel-qt as „Automatically installed“ to be totally „legal“...
    It is not ubuntuone-control-panel-qt that is important, I'm just making a remark so that a case when You „touch“ a package with apt-get or similar, manually, even though it is not even reinstalled or upgraded, it is marked as „manually installed“ and that could cause mental bookkeeping error later in the process of upadate/upgrade...

Beans

I certainly do appreciate the risks outlined on the wiki about partial updates, so have where possible avoided them. However, the advise that they will usually resolve themselves "within a few hours" is not what I've experienced; it's often days, if they resolve at all. (As noted a few posts back, when Beta 2 came out I was still getting "Partial Update" warnings, so that seemed to be a case where it would not resolve.

The Software Manager seems to be a bit flawed in this regard. It appears that if a package is dropped, then Software Manager will consider it perpetually out of date and give a "partial update" warning until the package is actually removed (and Software Manager will only do so if you instruct it to update anyway). Do I have that right? If so, the package management system needs some more explicit way of indicating obsolete packages, so Software Manager can deal with them without unnecessarily warning the user about dire things that might happen (as in the case of lo-menubar I just noted).

I guess if I want to be a beta tester, I'll just have to do it "old school" with apt-get or perhaps Synaptic, so that I can at least know what I'm destroying. Software Manager just doesn't provide enough feedback to allow an intelligent decision to be made here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SheamusPatt View Post
    ...The Software Manager seems to be a bit flawed in this regard...
    If I'm not mistaken the wiki also points out the recommended method to apply updates is from the CLI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Updates can be problematic in any case especially during development cycles with unstable code. "Update Manager" over the years has screwed me royally. On on an install I do system settings > software sources
    turn on partner
    turn off daily update

Then on maybe daily basis during development,

First I check Ubuntu Forums+1 to see if anyone's reporting trouble.

Second I do in terminal Command Line Interface CLI:

sudo apt-get update
    screen floods with pages of stuff
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    screen floods with pages of stuff
    It will ask for Y/n
    If it wants to remove something important like the desktop,
    Ctrl-C
    out of there.

If as usual wants to update a bunch of stuff I answer y.

After it's done, I do
    df
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    df

Now if there's a new kernel, i.e.
    ls /boot
    .... vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic ....
    cat /proc/version
    will show what is booted. If it is -16 for example, reboot
    then check version
    then look at /boot
    if there are old versions, and the new one is running O.K., then do
    sudo apt-get remove linux-image-3.5.0-16-generic
    then
    sudo apt-get remove linux-headers-3.5.0-16-generic
    then do the clean, autoclean, autoremove.

I use some exec's to help out on all this.

In development I'll do a fresh installs at A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, RC, release good for finding lots of bugs to report to launcpad.

Never update from last release to the next one unless you're looking for a high likely of disaster see the forums....
    Last edited by jerrylamos; October 14th, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12