Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Quantal update

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Quantal update

    I just found this in my inbox, from Kate Stewart:

    Dear Developers,
    We've just released Beta 2 now, and I wanted to say thank you for
    all your excellent work on the release to date! We're now entering
    the final phase of polishing the release and removing those last nasty
    bugs.

    We will be keeping the Quantal archive in pre-release freeze state
    from now until release, due to the high rate of churn on some projects,
    and the need to keep the dailies building between now and final freeze.
    Please continue to upload your fixes to quantal (or quantal-proposed, if
    there is likely to be archive skew issues from the build), and they
    will be reviewed by the release team.

    Only bug fixes should be uploaded now, and features should NOT be
    mixed in with the bug fixes. If you have a compelling reason why a
    FFE/UIFE needs to be granted, please make sure that code is in its own
    upload, and discuss it with the release team on #ubuntu-release in
    advance.

    Some of the key dates coming up [1] are:

    * October 4 - Kernel Freeze[2], Desktop Infrastructure Freeze[3]
    * October 9 - Translation Deadline[4], Seeded Images Final Freeze [5]
    * October 11 - Release Candidate [6], and Release Note Content Freeze[7]
    * October 16 - Unseeded Universe Final Freeze [5]
    * October 18 - 12.10 Release

    As you can see, there not that much time left between now and Final
    Freeze, so all fixes to Critical/High bugs are most welcome in this next
    upcoming week.

    Thank you again for all your excellent work over this release cycle,
    and your help on feeding our Quantal Quetzal those last important bug
    fixes.

    Kate Stewart,
    on behalf of the Ubuntu Release Team.

    [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseSchedule
    [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelFreeze
    [3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopInfrastructureFreeze
    [4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TranslationDeadline
    [5] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FinalFreeze
    [6] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseCandidate
    [7] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseNotesFreeze


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,435
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quantal update

    Thanks for the heads up.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    23

    Re: Quantal update to Beta 2

    I've been waiting for Beta 2, in the hopes that it would represent a consistent set of packages and fix the "Partial Upgrade" warnings that I've been getting for the past couple of weeks. Based on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/partial_upgrade I have not run a partial upgrade, but even though Beta 2 is now out, I'm still getting partial upgrade warnings.

    Any advice on how to proceed? Should I just blast ahead, and take the chance that things might be so busted that I'll have to reinstall the release version from scratch? Or, should I wait some more for things to settle down and the Partial Upgrade warnings to go away? Will they ever go away?

    I'm running on

    Linux xxx 3.5.0-14-generic #15-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 6 23:05:06 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    333

    Re: Quantal update to Beta 2

    Quote Originally Posted by SheamusPatt View Post
    I've been waiting for Beta 2, in the hopes that it would represent a consistent set of packages and fix the "Partial Upgrade" warnings that I've been getting for the past couple of weeks. Based on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/partial_upgrade I have not run a partial upgrade, but even though Beta 2 is now out, I'm still getting partial upgrade warnings.

    Any advice on how to proceed? Should I just blast ahead, and take the chance that things might be so busted that I'll have to reinstall the release version from scratch? Or, should I wait some more for things to settle down and the Partial Upgrade warnings to go away? Will they ever go away?

    I'm running on

    Linux xxx 3.5.0-14-generic #15-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 6 23:05:06 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Don't know if this will work for you, but has worked for me when I've gotten 'partial update' notices.

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Last edited by Curtis6767; September 29th, 2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quantal update

    @SheamusPatt, it may help, if you let us know which packages are being held back.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    23

    Re: Quantal update

    Does this help?

    sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    ubuntuone-control-panel-qt
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libopus0 libpackagekit-glib2-14 libufe-xidgetter0 libvigraimpex4
    linux-headers-3.5.0-16 linux-headers-3.5.0-16-generic
    linux-image-3.5.0-16-generic linux-image-extra-3.5.0-16-generic
    python3-gi-cairo python3-virtkey ubuntu-settings unity-lens-gwibber
    unity-lens-shopping unity-webapps-common xul-ext-unity
    xul-ext-websites-integration
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    compiz compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-plugins-default
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gwibber gwibber-service libcompizconfig0
    libdecoration0 libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0 libnux-3.0-0 libnux-3.0-common
    libunity-core-6.0-5 libunity-webapps0 libvigraimpex-dev
    linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic onboard
    python-ubuntuone-control-panel ubuntu-desktop ubuntuone-control-panel unity
    unity-common unity-services unity-webapps-service
    25 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

    (this is after running apt-get update && apt-get upgrade)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •