Thread: Skype Crashes on UBUNTU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Skype Crashes on UBUNTU

Hello All,

Ive got ubuntu precise pangolin and i feel like in heaven.

Ive observed a problem with Skype (Multiple versions including the latest one 4.0.0.8 ) on ubuntu. Audio / Video / Text / chat works smoothly and almost flawlessly. But the problem is I'm unable to send files while using Skype through Ubuntu. As soon as I select a file to send Skype simply crashes.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem..???

Second portion of the query is ; Since Skype has been acquired by Microsoft for quite a while now, its a possibility that support for Skype on Linux / Ubuntu ends after a while. Is there any equally good application..???

Ive tested Google video chat. But its laggy. Although audio was good and crispy. But video had jitter and delay. I must add this that Skype uses point to point (or IP to IP) conversation and does not route traffic through Skype servers (except at the time of Call Setup and some call control signalling). So what it means is that if you are on a LAN / Corporate Network and send big files using Skype, your files would transfer at LAN speed. Any ideas are welcomed....??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Skype Crashes on UBUNTU

Quote Originally Posted by anspectrum View Post
    Hello All,

Ive got ubuntu precise pangolin and i feel like in heaven.

Ive observed a problem with Skype (Multiple versions including the latest one 4.0.0.8 ) on ubuntu. Audio / Video / Text / chat works smoothly and almost flawlessly. But the problem is I'm unable to send files while using Skype through Ubuntu. As soon as I select a file to send Skype simply crashes.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem..???

Second portion of the query is ; Since Skype has been acquired by Microsoft for quite a while now, its a possibility that support for Skype on Linux / Ubuntu ends after a while. Is there any equally good application..???

Ive tested Google video chat. But its laggy. Although audio was good and crispy. But video had jitter and delay. I must add this that Skype uses point to point (or IP to IP) conversation and does not route traffic through Skype servers (except at the time of Call Setup and some call control signalling). So what it means is that if you are on a LAN / Corporate Network and send big files using Skype, your files would transfer at LAN speed. Any ideas are welcomed....??
    I saw on a Skype forum that someone made a new account and after doing so actually fixed the crashing issue.

Maybe this link will be useful for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Skype Crashes on UBUNTU

Interesting facts. I stumbled upon the following thread

http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/...ght/true#M3172

and using some rational found that if skype is launched with root like "gksudo skype" or "sudo skype", then not only interface is more elegant but file transfer function works as well. Now I can send the file no matter how big is the size.

However, I don't want to run the skype with root privileges. Can someone find out any alternative to it.????